Hello i am an experienced software engineer, fluent in many languages including js&c#. I have a partner just like me, we worked in alot of projects but only worked on few small web & mobile games. So not much experience in serious game developing.
We would like to use an open source server “runuo” with a custom client to create a game. The graphics and the world should resemble ultima online. (Style only, not quality) http://uo.theabyss.eu
It will contain
-1 camera angle.
-camera locked on character.
We have some idea about what needs to be done, but its always better to be pointed in the right direction by more experienced people.
So here are our few questions:
- Is unity the right engine for this kind of project?
- Can we find material, tutorials, documentations, to connect the server with unity?
- Can unity handle high network traffic, lots of players on 1 screen?
- Timewise what would your estimate be for us to learn unity enough to get started?
- How much time would be spent to make this game “playable”, alpha mode?
- We are weak on the graphics and music department, does unity have open source materials we can use? Until we find someone who can do it at least.
- What would be the ideal team size for this project?
- Unity has a custom easy to use map editor right?
- Free or paid suggested for this project?
- Finishing the game cant be estimated without knowing alot of details, but lets say if it was an uo copy, how much time to finish that?
Thanks in advance