32-bit version planed or no???

Just curious if I need to get a new laptop or not.
Is a 32bit version in the works or just sticking with 64bit?

No, we're not currently planning to ship a 32-bit edition. We've already moved to 64-bit-only on OSX, and it seems likely that we'll eventually follow suit on Windows as well.

2 Likes

[quote=“CoreCoder”, post:1, topic: 595049]
Just curious if I need to get a new laptop or not.
Is a 32bit version in the works or just sticking with 64bit?
[/quote]

What CPU do you have? Even if your laptop came with a 32 bit version of Windows it doesn’t mean the CPU is 32 bit (unless it’s an older Atom CPU).

Personal story: I bought a desktop PC back in 2009 that came with a Intel Dual Core and had 32 bit Windows on it. I thought that it had a 32 bit CPU for about 5 years until I accidentally installed a 64 bit version of Manjaro on it and was baffled. Yep, turns out it was a 64 bit machine with a 32 bit Windows for some odd reason.

Can't fathom why any end-user would remain with 32 bit in this day and age. Businesses which can't for whatever reason move forward without great cost, I can understand :)

[quote=“NathanWarden_1”, post:3, topic: 595049]
Yep, turns out it was a 64 bit machine with a 32 bit Windows for some odd reason.
[/quote]
How much memory did it ship with? It may have been a result of the computer having 4GB or less when it shipped.

[quote=“hippocoder”, post:4, topic: 595049]
Can’t fathom why any end-user would remain with 32 bit in this day and age. Businesses which can’t for whatever reason move forward without great cost, I can understand :slight_smile:
[/quote]
Only other reason I can imagine is if they have older systems and are refusing or cannot afford to upgrade. It certainly won’t happen with new systems as even the cheapest processors are 64-bit now.

2 Likes

[quote=“Ryiah”, post:5, topic: 595049]
How much memory did it ship with? It may have been a result of the computer having 4GB or less when it shipped.
Only other reason I can imagine is if they have older systems and are refusing or cannot afford to upgrade. It certainly won’t happen with new systems as even the cheapest processors are 64-bit now.
[/quote]
For both points; I have a mini-laptop that isn’t 64-bit capable, so technically, that would apply to me as well. :wink: Lucky I have a bigger 64-bit laptop for school… :smile: Most likely though, I may end up with a more powerful machine by the end of the year. (Hopefully an MSI Cubi… those things look and sound amazing!)

[quote=“FuzzyQuills”, post:6, topic: 595049]
I have a mini-laptop that isn’t 64-bit capable, so technically, that would apply to me as well.
[/quote]
I also have a mini-laptop that isn’t 64-bit capable, but it barely runs anything let alone Unity. It’s almost ten years old and the only reasons I keep it around are because it’s a Panasonic Toughbook and it makes for a good ebook reader.

[quote=“Ryiah”, post:7, topic: 595049]
I also have a mini-laptop that isn’t 64-bit capable, but it barely runs anything let alone Unity. It’s almost ten years old and the only reasons I keep it around are because it’s a Panasonic Toughbook and it makes for a good ebook reader.
[/quote]
I’m taking a guess it’s atom-based… :wink: Mine somehow runs unity 4.6 though. (Or did; I went and dropped windows 10 on the thing for testing and haven’t had enough disk space to install it again! :smile:)

Still good to see yours used for at least something though; the low power of these notebooks makes it hard to use them in any useful form these days. (That’s also why unity linux would be awesome for the 64-bit capable ones, since linux by itself takes almost nothing! :))

[quote=“FuzzyQuills”, post:8, topic: 595049]
I’m taking a guess it’s atom-based…
[/quote]
Third generation Intel Centrino. Basically Core Duo @ 1.06GHz, 1.5GB DDR2, and GMA 950. It may be a stretch calling it a mini-laptop, but if you strip away the ruggedness it isn’t a very big laptop. Only a 12-inch screen.