3D Max CAT Animation

Hello everybody,

I'm making a character animation using the CAT animation tool in 3Ds Max 2011. The problem is, Unity doesn't recognize the animation. I already follow the steps in unity manual, such as colapse all bones in the Motion>Trajectories>select all bones>Colapse. I tried to export as FBX such ass the manual says to, tried to import the 3ds file too, but none works. In unity i'm have done every right I guess... So, any ideia to solve this problem?

I haven't used CAT for unity but you use skin at the end so ...i guess.. that the FBX exporter gets a system of bones with skin. If you are using .max files, unity imports fbx in the background, The current problem with the FBX exporter for character animation is that it unity 2.6.1f3 doesn't support the 2011 fbx for animation export. So I use the max files for static geometry and exporting fbx 2006 for character animation (the mesh and animation is imported perfectly) . i haven't tried the in between 2008,2009

. Try with these older exporters and see if it works.Fbx exporter/advanceOptions/fbxversion I think ... by the way don't export bones as geometry. Let us know what happened.

Thank's!

I have tried to export in 3ds max 2010 just minutes after I did the question, and visualise that in 2010 tha CAT works for Unity.

I found the same problem last night- CAT from 2013 doesn’t seem to import anything usable.
I tried from 2012 and it did work. Am going to see if the latest product update fixes the 2013 problem.
As Alex said, remember to use the option to export dummy geometry as bones.

I found the same problem last night- CAT from 2013 doesn’t seem to import anything usable.
I tried from 2012 and it did work. Am going to see if the latest product update fixes the 2013 problem.
As Alex said, remember to use the option to export dummy geometry as bones.

Hi! I use CAT-rig on my character model and they work, but I can’t get them to play when I want :confused: I split the animations in Unity and they all work separately, but they just loop on one of them.

I guess it’s my script that’s wrong. I just used the default character controller script and changed the animations. The default character doesn’t use CAT-rig though. Maybe that’s the problem?

Hi everybody

I make this vidéo to show you my problem:

I try to import my CAT character into Unity but i can’t see the animation.

What is my mistake ?

thanks ; )

I think I just found it guys. In 3DS Max 2014, when you export Cat Rig animation into FBX, you have to have the file in Animation Mode (Motion/Parameters/GREEN button) at the time of the export. Silly.