3rd person game with rigid body

Im making a 3rd person 3D game. I have a little capsule shaped player controlled drone at the moment that moves on a flat surface. Y axis is locked. The Game object contains a script and then the child objects which are the actual body parts. If i attach a rigidbidy to the root object i get crazy results. The drone collides with something and starts to spin and then forward becomes some upward direction.

Somehow i would like to be able to use the pysics collision and ragdoll effects but still be able to maintain the keyboard movement. I guess that id have to animate the drone getting back up again when fallen.

Movement code

void CheckForKeys ()
{
    if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.W)) {          
        transform.Translate(Vector3.forward * Time.deltaTime * walkingSpeed);           
    }

if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.S)) {          
        transform.Translate(Vector3.back * Time.deltaTime * walkingSpeed);          
    }

if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.A)) {          
        transform.Rotate(Vector3.up * Time.deltaTime * rotatingSpeed);          
    }

if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.D)) {          
        transform.Rotate(Vector3.down * Time.deltaTime * rotatingSpeed);         
}

Well if you are using rigidbody you can’t use transform.translate. Instead use this:

What you are experiancing is because transform.translate won’t consider the colliders when moving and when the physics kicks in it will just push your object back, that’s why the strange behavior of your object.