Add.Torque on sphere not creating enough rotation no matter what i do

Hi,
I am working on a bouncing ball type character that uses torque for movement in a 2d style environment. The code I have is almost exactly the same as unity’s api on add torque, but for some reason, no matter how much value I add to the torque function, it always seems to max out at a value I can’t seem to find… ANYWHERE. I made the angular drag zero, I made it 100 and everything in between, messed with friction in the physics material. Made the “h” variable (that controls the amount of torque) 5,000, 500, 10, etc. all values end up with the same outcome of this arbitrary fixed rotation speed (except 900 starts rotating much faster naturally). I made “h” public so that I could in fact view if it was changing - and it is changing exactly how i’d expect. but the sphere in the scene and game view doesn’t go with it. I tried removing the rigidbody constraints on start to no avail. So here is the code… Again, I have tried a variety of combinations of “h” values and drag values:

using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

public class BallMovement : MonoBehaviour 
{
	public float amount;
	public Camera MainCamera;
	public GameObject MainCharacter;
	public GameObject Ball;
	Rigidbody ballyRigidbody;
	public float h;

void Start ()
	{
		MainCharacter = GameObject.Find ("MainCharacter");
		ballyRigidbody = Ball.GetComponent<Rigidbody> ();
		ballyRigidbody.constraints = 
			RigidbodyConstraints.FreezePositionZ
			| RigidbodyConstraints.FreezeRotationY 
			| RigidbodyConstraints.FreezeRotationX;
	}

void FixedUpdate ()
	{
                h = Input.GetAxis("Horizontal") * amount;
		ballyRigidbody.AddTorque (transform.forward * h, ForceMode.Impulse);
	}
}

THANKS!

It’s a few years late but the problem is that the maximum angular velocity is set to 7 by default. If you set ballRigidbody.maxAngularVelocity = (some large number) the problem should go away.