Adding static functions

Alright I guess this is more of a general programming question, but here goes;
I want to make my function / script always active without it being added to the scene.
I have a few different functions I use in many different scripts. Adding the script to the scene and pointing to it from the other scripts is a troublesome process. Is it a good practice to make such function static? Is there another way out?

This is one of the functions I use a lot

//Gets the vector3 from a string
public Vector3 getVector3(string rString){
	string[] temp = rString.Substring(1,rString.Length-2).Split(',');
	float x = float.Parse(temp[0]);
	float y = float.Parse(temp[1]);
	float z = float.Parse(temp[2]);
	Vector3 rValue = new Vector3(x,y,z);
	return rValue;
}

This is the script I’ve made with the function(s)

using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

public static class MyFunctions {

public static Vector3 getVector3(string rString){
		string[] temp = rString.Substring(1,rString.Length-2).Split(',');
		float x = float.Parse(temp[0]);
		float y = float.Parse(temp[1]);
		float z = float.Parse(temp[2]);
		Vector3 rValue = new Vector3(x,y,z);
		return rValue;
	}
}

You are right this is more like a general programming question.
Of course you can create static class with static value and static functions or a classic class but with static method and classic method.

It’s up to you, it could be useful if you work in a team and create static functions accessible for other developers.
It’s also useful because using gameobjects in the scene consumes resources and affect performances and if you can use a static class with static functions why not doing it :slight_smile: it will save ressources.

A great example is the Mathf class in Unity, there’s no advantage of create a classic class, just do a static class and here we go.

Here is an interesting question asked on StackOverflow : Performance of static methods vs instance methods

Another option would be the singleton pattern.

http://unitypatterns.com/singletons/

Also if you don’t want to to place your script in the scene at all, you can define a class that is not inheriting from MonoDevelop.