Android 6.0 Marshmallow creates black bar along bottom of screen.

Hello. I am having a problem after updating my Nexus 5 to Android M. Any games I have made in the past including ones I am developing currently have a black bar along the bottom of the screen where the soft keys for the OS usually are (with the home, back and multitask buttons).

Here are some examples of what I mean:
What it should look like:

What it actually looks like when you first launch it:

The black bar appears the exact same size as the soft keys, however the status bar is disabled in Unity, which should bring the soft keys with it. This black bar IS NOT the OS buttons. The bar has no icons on it and clicking on it does not press the back, home or multitask button.

If I click in the black bar I will interact with whatever button is beneath the black bar in my game. I cannot access the home, back etc. buttons from the black bar without swiping up.

I have had this problem with Android 5.0 too. However it only happened when I pressed the home button, then went back into the game. Now it happens on every launch.

The only way I know how to get rid of the black bar is to open the game, then click the home button, then use multitasking to get back into my game. This causes the app to launch in normal full screen as it should.

As I said, I had a similar problem with Android 5.0, and I never did figure out why it was happening, now that the problem is bad enough to bread the game, I need a fix.

Thank you very much in advance for any help, or comments. :slight_smile:

This is a bug with the OS on the device. I don’t think it is a unity problem there.

Hey,

I had the same problem on my Nexus 6P Android 6.0

I fixed the problem by adding android:theme=“@android:style/Theme.NoTitleBar” in the < manifest /> tag. Make sure it is in the < manifest /> tag.

If you do not have a manifest file, then follow the instructions on this site Unity3d Tutorials - How to - Learn Unity: Unity3D - Android Manifest File Management - How to modify without extracting it from the apk file?

In the temp/StagingArea there might be two manifest file, just take the manifest-main, rename it and paste to your Plugins/Android folder.

HI,

I found one solution in this thread:

br, pertti

I didn’t realize that the bar disappeared when rotating the device.

My make-shift solution:

Set default orientation in player settings to something other than the orientation your using, then in the start function change it to the orientation you actually want using Screen.orientation.