Animal Tail

I have a rigged and skinned model of an animal that I want the player to be able to play as. I have everything pretty much done with it in unity but I am stuck as far as the animals tail. I don’t want to have to animate it as that would just take way to much time to get it to look right. Basicly I figured that using rigid body would be the best way to get a “ragdoll” style of movement as the player moves the aniamal that he is controlling around the level. But I am not sure how best to do this. Should I devide the tail up in to diffrent pieces or can I just keep the tail all one object. Will I need the tail to have any bones in it when I export it out of max and can I keep the tail attached to the mouse when exporting it out of unity or do I need to bring it into unity as a seprate export file?

thanks for the help,

• Patrick

Try looking into Trail Effects and use a tail material

Patrick, did you ever find a solution to this? I looked a bit into the Trail Renderer, but I don’t see how it could be used to animate a tail.

I’ve been looking for a script to animate tails, but so far haven’t found anything. I think having bones in the tail and doing some ragdoll physics on them is the right approach, though. Curious to hear what you worked out.

I’m interested in how this worked out as well. The story behind the game I’m working on is that I want the tail to look purposely absurd as the monster stumbles around so I think having some super ragdoll on it would make for some humor. As I’m researching this now, I’ll be sure to add a link to this if I find anything similar.