Animator boolean problem

Hello everyone.

I’ve looked around Google and the Unity forums for quite a while without finding an answer to my problem.

I am using the latest version of Unity, in a 2D project.

I am currently trying to access an Animator boolean from a script. When I click on the bool from the Animator window, it works normally, but I can’t toggle it with the script for some reason.
I have another Animator bool system for walking animations, and it works.

The boolean’s name is “TextBox Active”,
I am trying to toggle it on and off with script. Pressing on the Space key should open the text box, and close it if it’s already open.

Here’s my script :

using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

public class TextBoxAnimation : MonoBehaviour {

public bool textBoxActive;

void Start () 
	{
		textBoxActive = GameObject.Find("TextBox").GetComponent<Animator> ().GetBool ("TextBox Active");
	}

void FixedUpdate () 
	{
		if (Input.GetKeyDown (KeyCode.Space)) 
		{
			textBoxActive = !textBoxActive;
		}
	}
}

This is the last thing I tried out before asking for help here. I have also tried to go with : “public Animator textBoxActive;” and using .SetBool(“TextBox Active”, true) and .SetBool(“TextBox Active”, false), but it didn’t work either.

This problem occurs every time I try to create a toggle. Sometimes, one part of the code will work, but the bool won’t come back from its “inverted” position.
I always use “bool = !bool;” whenever I can, but it doesn’t work.

Since I’m a complete newcomer to C#, I know that I am doing something wrong and not seeing it. My code doesn’t give me error messages in the console.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I began to test your code and does not effectively work to me, I saw the most prudent, I would use two variables or just one depending on how comfortable you feel.

two var

public Animator animacion;
	public bool dos;
	void Start () {
		animacion = GetComponent<Animator> ();
	}

void Update () {
		if (Input.GetKeyDown (KeyCode.Space)) {
			dos = !dos;
			animacion.SetBool ("dos", dos);
		}

}

with a var

public bool dos;

void Update () {
		if (Input.GetKeyDown (KeyCode.Space)) {
			dos = !dos;
			this.gameObject.GetComponent<Animator>().SetBool ("dos", dos);
		}
	}

74096-captura-de-pantalla-12.png

I hope it is to your liking, and forgive if you were looking for the solution to your ccodigo without having to use another. sorry

@PhantomSarcasm I used your “two var” method on another script that wasn’t working for the same reasons as my Animator one, and it works perfectly now.

I’ll test it on a new Animator script that I’ll be creating from scratch and I’ll edit this post when I’m done testing. I will also be trying the “one var” method and check it out. Thanks for the help!

Edit : The “two var” method also worked on the Animator script, and it is now flawless. I used it with “OnTriggerStay2D” and “Update”, and there is no problem with it. Thanks again for the help.