Animator causes FPS to drop

Are animators supposed to have a huge impact on FPS?

In my test scene, I have a single animator that continuously rotates an image and a button to toggle it on/off. When it is on, the FPS drops to 30 from 60 in the simulator. I think something similar happens on device.

They shouldn’t, as far as I know. Since you’re rotating an image, this might be a more general issue with UGUI performance. If possible, it would help if you could submit a bug report with a repro case and let us know the incident number (IN-#####).

I just submitted a bug report. The incident number is IN-65491.

1 Like

Thanks! Just wanted you to know that we received the report, can reproduce, and are looking into it.

1 Like

This particular case (animating the UI element transform) should be fixed in the next release. There may be other issues with UI performance, of course, so definitely let us know/submit reports if you notice other causes of slowdown.

1 Like

In general we’ve found UGUI performance to be incredibly slow, to the point where it might actually kill our project on VisionOS. We are a launch title, in theory, so this is and has been a huge pain point for us. Our major concerns form come from performance around scrolling UI content, but simply loading scenes is also super slow.

It seems to me that once a UI is loaded, it runs fine, but as soon as elements on that scene start moving around, the frame rate drops to about 1fps, or less. I can only assume that the Unity to RealityKit replication occurs in full on any canvas layout event, instead of just updating positions etc on the RealityKit side