Any harm in using the new Input System for visionOS?

So I noticed in the latest .43 template, if you look at the Event System object it’s using the Standalone Input Module. But there’s a warning that suggests upgrading to the InputSystemUIInputModule for the new Input system. Is there any harm in using Unity’s new Input System with vision Pro?

I’m still using the old Input System in my other non visionOS projects–as is everyone else I know. But I figure I should use all the new stuff in visionOS if I can. Anyone else here using the new Input System over the legacy?

Thanks for starting the discussion on this @quitebuttery This is the manual excerpt on Input:

3D touch events are exposed via the PolySpatialTouchSpace Input device , which is built on top of the com.unity.inputsystem package, otherwise known as the New Input System. Existing actions bound to a touchscreen device should work for 2D input. For 3D input, users can bind actions to the specific PolySpatialTouchSpace device for a 3D position vector.

I’ll ask around for more information on this as well.

I’ll note that its possible to keep both input systems active, so you don’t have to switch over cold turkey. We have a big project that’s still using the old input system, but have enabled the new system so we can access hand tracking data through the XRHands package…

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that @puddle_mike

I’ll just add this blurb in the docs to the discussion:

The Input System allows users to control your game or app using a device, touch, or gestures. In projects developed for PolySpatial XR, the supported Input system is the New Input System. This input system is intended to be a replacement for Unity’s classic Input Manager.

Projects that use Unity’s classic input system will not work and are required to be ported to use the new input system as mentioned above.

Ah cool, my project doesn’t use poly spatial so maybe there are additional compatibility issues. But I can confirm that vr mode apps (not using poly spatial) seem to be fine with both systems enabled