AudioSource.PlayClipAtPoint volume

Hey fellas,

I googled and it seems that the third argument should be the volume. But it does not seem to work:

using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

public class CoinPickupNew : MonoBehaviour {

public AudioClip coinPickup;
	public bool gotkey = false;
	public float volume = 0.1f;

void OnTriggerEnter2D (Collider2D other)
	{
		if (other.tag == "Player")
		{
			AudioSource.PlayClipAtPoint(coinPickup, transform.position, volume);
			gameObject.SetActive(false);
			gotkey = true;
		}
	}
}

Here’s a simple test script:

using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

public class Foo : MonoBehaviour {
	public AudioClip clip;

void Start() {
		AudioSource.PlayClipAtPoint (clip, transform.position, 0.1f);
		gameObject.SetActive (false);
		Debug.Break();
	}
}

By calling Debug.Break(), you can pause the game after the current frame. This lets you mess around in the editor a bit. You should see a new object named “One shot audio” in the scene. You can take a look at its properties, or even change them.

By default, the temporary AudioSource has a logarithmic sound falloff. If my camera is 10 units away from the audio, we’re already hearing it at about 1/10 volume; if your audio is playing at 1/10 volume to begin with, that means we’ll only hear 1/100 the original volume. That’s not audible in any practical sense.

On the other hand, if I move the AudioSource closer to my camera and set its volume back to 1, I can hear it as clear as crystal.

So, check and make sure that you have the audio, and then see what needs to change so that you can hear it. A common pitfall in these situations is to forget the attenuation over distance.

One way to change the volume is the z axis, for example:

AudioSource.PlayClipAtPoint (clip, new Vector3(0,0,-10));

You can also control the balance with the x axis.
Works for me, I hope I helped you

Vector3 cameraZPos = new Vector3(transform.position.x,transform.position.y,Camera.main.transform.position.z);
AudioSource.PlayClipAtPoint(deathSound,cameraZPos,1f);

As a static function, also according to the maximum distance it applies the sound proportionally.

public static void PlaySound(AudioClip clip, Transform collision, Transform player, int DistanceSoundLimit)
    {
        float cameraDistance = Vector3.Distance(player.position, collision.position);

float normalizedValue = Mathf.InverseLerp(0, DistanceSoundLimit, cameraDistance);
        float explosionDistanceVolumen = Mathf.Lerp(1f, 0, normalizedValue);
        // First, calculate the direction to the spawn
        Vector3 spawnDirection = collision.position - player.position;

// Then, normalize it into a unit vector
        Vector3 unitSpawnDirection = spawnDirection.normalized;

Debug.Log("Camera distance: " + cameraDistance + " explosion sound volumen : " + explosionDistanceVolumen);
        // Now, we can play the sound in the direction, but not position, of the spawn
        AudioSource.PlayClipAtPoint(clip, player.position + unitSpawnDirection, explosionDistanceVolumen);
    }