.blend files don't appear to work

Okay, so I’m new to Unity and game engines in general but I think I’m smart enough to read instructions and watch a video!

Evidently, I’m missing something. I wanted to import a .blend model into a scene just to play around with it in the Unity environment. I watched the tutorial and I read the user manual on how to import blender files.

I saved my file as a .blend file and copied it to the assests folder. I then started unity and Presto-Chango! the file was in the projects view just as the instructions say it would be. So far, so good!

However, when I grab the file and attempt to drag it into the scene it will not work! Just to make sure I was doing it right I grabbed Lerpz (from the 3DPlatform Tutorial I’m slugging may way through) and dragged him onto the screen. Easy-Peazy, worked like a charm.

I notice that the icons for the objects in the project view are different from the icon next to my .blend file. The .blend file has what looks like a piece of paper next to it with the top right corner folded over. The lerpz file has a little cube with a simliar, but smaller, piece of paper in front of it.

Anyway, I can’t seem to get a .blend file to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Oh, BTW, I’m using Blender 2.61.

You can download the script found in this post

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/62583-Blender-2.5-support?p=647776&viewfull=1#post647776

and copy it to your Unity3d\Editor\Data\Tools folder, replacing the existing file.

Next time you start Unity3D it’s able to use/import Blender 2.5/2.6 files

As stated on http://unity3d.com/unity/editor/importing.html, Unity uses the application’s FBX exporter. Unity then reads the FBX file.
Since the .blend file is only used for making the FBX-file I think it would be easier to just export the model as an FBX in blender and then try to use the .FBX file insted.

(Uses 3dsMax myself, but noticed Unity struggles on .max files sometimes (also takes alot longer), but no problem after exporting as FBX)

The file is a .blend file. I rea that the file does not have to be converted to to FBX. So what gives?

How do I get this to work?

Okay, thanks for that information.

I still need to be able to use my models from blender. The file I imported was a .blend file. Does that mean that I have to convert the file to FBX inspite of the fact that the literature says the .blend file will be recognized?

So, I don’t know what to do now. Can anyone give me an answer that is (1)longer than one sentence, unless one sentence is all it takes to tell me how to make this work and (2)less cryptic - I’m not sure what knowing that Unity is having trouble recognizing the file extentions means in terms of solving my problem. Are you implying that I should change the file extention? Okay, to what? If not, then what should I do now?

Blender post 2.5 support is lacking. You’ll need to use FBX or DAE (which is wrapped with the FBX importer.) Or you can drop back to using 2.49 (I think it was 9 anyway.)

Did you try to export from blender as a fbx object and import in unity. I do this and I am using the blender 2.60, you just need to fix the scale/rotation in the game inspector.

see the video it’s help you solve the issue : Blender files in Unity are not working anymore - YouTube