Blender could not convert the .blend file to fbx file Unity 2019.1.0

Hello,

Not being able to import Blender models is a very old issue but was solved in 2014. I recently upgraded my project to 2019.1.0 as soon as it came out from beta. All went according to plan but my blender models do not appear at all in the scene view and the GameObject using such a file end up with “missing” in the model field. Every other type of model works. The Blender files do appear in the assets folder, but it is unreadable for unity. I wish to keep using these raw blender files for this project. I guess it might be something to do with my Blender app not being found by Unity, but no relevant information can be found because this is an ANCIENT problem coming back to life.

Heres the full error : Blender could not convert the .blend file to FBX file.
You need to use Blender 2.45-2.49 or 2.58 and later versions for direct Blender import to work.

Note : My Blender is up to date (2.79b) and was not affected at all by the Unity upgrade. I uninstalled, reinstalled and fixed to see if it would fix the issue.

Thank you for your time.

Here is a workaround that doesn’t involve changing your Blender installation. You have to replace the file “Unity-BlenderToFBX.py” in Unity 2019.1 with the same file from a 2018.3 installation. Unity changed this script to account for Blender 2.80 but inadvertently (I’m assuming) broke it for other versions.

On MacOS the file is in Applications/Hub/Editor/2019.1.0f2/Unity.app. You’ll have to right click on the Unity app icon and select “Show Package Contents,” then navigate to /Contents/Tools/ to find to the file. On Windows the Tools folder will be in the Unity 2019.1 installation folder in program files.

I had the same issue with Unity 2019.1.0f2. I solved it by installing Blender 2.80 (the latest beta). Unity then imported my Blender files without issue. This is the opposite of 2018.3.X, which would not import any Blender files with Blender 2.80 installed.

Update: I posted a better solution so ignore this one.

The .blend files have always given me and many others I have talked to and helped here trouble. I think the best option might be to do your FBX conversion by hand instead of using .blend files. This “compatibility” has always been very fussy between versions. Also, you have more control over the output of your model rather than relying on Unity’s built in python script. With a bit of knowledge you can setup blender to do the export with a shortcut or script if you feel the steps to export are somehow too slow. It may seem subjective but I would say to trust me, it’s not actually as helpful to use .blend files in your workflow, you will realize this when your project gets huge and your build times start to grow, vs. doing the export from Blender yourself. Infact I would keep my .blend files in separate work folders from your assets so that you can make good use of backups or at least use folders with a “.” infront of them to hide them from Unity.

I also have this issue as well as the guys in the other thread; not sure what to do here I’m also on 2.79b.

Same in here. I’m also using blender 2.79b, but all my blend files gave an error in 2019.1.

Same her, everything was working fine until I update to the 2019.1 version. Last blender version here. Same error message.
Hope someone know a workaround. In the meanwhile I will refer back to previous unity version.

Is it possible for someone to paste the old python blender to fbx script because i deleted the old installation of unity.

Totally worked.

Guys just search what @dh2biker types. Even if you deleted your previous versions of unity, you will see there are two different PY files. Copy and paste into the Unity 2019 folder.

Can someone share the BlenderToFBX.py file for the Unity 2019 one. Im having the problem the other way around as im using 2018 and using blender 2.8

replacing the py file doesn’t seem to help in 2019.2. All I get is:

Blender could not convert the .blend
file to FBX file. You need to use
Blender 2.45-2.49 or 2.58 and later
versions for direct Blender import to
work.
UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:ProjectWindowDrag(HierarchyProperty,
Boolean)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32,
IntPtr)

Any suggestions?

Posting for anyone else who has this problem:
I had the same issue, but the solution above did not work for me. Turns out the copy of Blender I downloaded off the Blender site wasn’t the correct format. I had gotten the file for 2.79 off of the Blender website (I downloaded the zip file and was using the exe to use Blender).

I uninstalled and instead downloaded the .msi file off the website, installed properly, manually set it as the default .blend program in my computer settings and then it worked!!

I found that I had this problem with unity 2020.1.16f1 and blender 2.91 on windows. Posting my fix here in case it helps others.

give the Unity hub and the installed unity.exe “run as administrator” privilege’s so that the intermediate files have the permision to be written. Also, verify that blender 2.91 is set as the system default for “open with” on all .blend files.