Bloom/Glow effect for VisionOS?

Hi,
Did some searching but can’t find any info. Is there a way to create a boom/glow effect for objects in Vision OS? Normal emissive properties don’t cast bloom effects on other objects, but maybe there is some post processor setting to achieve this?

Thanks,
H

1 Like

Unfortunately, no; in MR mode (that is, in RealityKit), there’s no way to add post-process effects such as bloom (RealityKit’s post-processing API isn’t available on visionOS). The only way I’m aware of to create a bloom or glow effect is to use world space geometry and a material that uses additive blending.

1 Like

…Or render to a render texture and display the result!

–Tim

But can this be done in stereoscopy yet in polyspatial?

We’ve had reports of some success with this particular approach. For general stereoscopy, you can use the Eye Index shader graph node to present different output to each eye.

1 Like

Hi there sir! I have the similar problem of failing to create a bloom effect for visionOS and now I saw this thread. Thank you for the clarification, I have two follow-ups:

1. Will post processing effects be supported in the future in the MR mode? Or that is not the plan in the first place?
  2. For now, could you elaborate on the easiest way to create a bloom effect for MR visionOS? Any resources or tutorials would be helpful! Thank you!

AFAIK post-processing being supported in MR is completely out of Unity’s hands. Since the underlying RealityKit renderer doesn’t support post-processing there’s nothing Unity can do about it.

Searching for “fake bloom” will turn up some hopefully helpful results that should be doable on visionOS.

1 Like

That’s too sad to hear. I have done some research and the fake bloom is not quite suitable for my object which is constantly moving and grow/ shrinking.
Do you think using custom shader graph is a workaround since visionOS supports custome shader graph? Like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKcgv7ZsBCI

I’m pretty sure that’s just standard bloom with post-processing. If your app is unbounded and head pose is accessible, one workaround might be rendering real bloom to a texture using the Unity renderer like @kapolka mentioned and then trying to draw that on top of the PolySpatial/RealityKit object, but it does seem a bit hacky.

1 Like

As @Mercavid says, We’re subject to Apple’s limitations here. If you’re interested in support for post-processing effects, I would suggest submitting feedback to Apple via their Feedback Assistant.