bounds.SetMinMax does not do anything

I have an object with just a sprite renderer on It. I need to be able to set the position of the corners of the sprite from code manually.

I have an object with just sprite renderer on it. The debug shows me the correct positiions of the bounding box corner. Why does none of the code in update change anything? I am getting crazy with this one.

public class wtfbounds : MonoBehaviour
{
    Sprite sprt;
    SpriteRenderer sprtRen;

// Start is called before the first frame update
    void Start()
    {
        sprtRen = this.GetComponent<SpriteRenderer>();
        sprt = sprtRen.sprite;

Debug.Log(string.Format("Rendere: Bounds: {0} extenst {1} min: {2}  max: {3} ", sprtRen.bounds, sprtRen.bounds.extents, sprtRen.bounds.min, sprtRen.bounds.max));
        Debug.Log(string.Format("Sprite: Bounds: {0}  extenst {1} min: {2}   max: {3} ", sprt.bounds, sprt.bounds.extents, sprt.bounds.min, sprt.bounds.max));
    }

// Update is called once per frame
    void Update()
    { 
        if(Input.GetKey(KeyCode.Space)){

// option 1
            sprtRen.bounds.SetMinMax(new Vector3(1f, 1f, 0f), new Vector3(-1f, -1f, 0f));

// option 2
            sprt.bounds.SetMinMax(new Vector3(1f, 1f, 0f), new Vector3(-1f, -1f, 0f));

// option 3
            Bounds sprtRenbounds = sprtRen.bounds;
            sprtRenbounds.min = new Vector3(1f, 1f, 0f);
            sprtRenbounds.max = new Vector3(-1f, -1f, 0f);

Debug.Log(string.Format("Rendere: Bounds: {0} extenst {1} min: {2}  max: {3} ", sprtRen.bounds, sprtRen.bounds.extents, sprtRen.bounds.min, sprtRen.bounds.max));
            Debug.Log(string.Format("Sprite: Bounds: {0}  extenst {1} min: {2}   max: {3} ", sprt.bounds, sprt.bounds.extents, sprt.bounds.min, sprt.bounds.max));
        }

}
}

I am Using unity 2019.1.0. This is the only script in the sceene.

Hey, I’m going through something similar, did you find a workaround?

Not exactly the same problem but I ran into something similar (and spent an embarrassing amount of time debugging) so wanted to share so other people didn’t run into the same problem.

If you have a Bounds property Bounds bounds { get; set; }

and you use bounds.SetMinMax(min, max), that won’t do anything.

This is because structs are pass-by-value. When you type bounds, it creates a copy of the underlying variable. Thus, when you use .SetMinMax, you’re setting the min and max on the new struct without actually modifying the bounds variable

It’s a C# quirk that you can’t do much about…