-Break More- Breakout Game, Infinite Levels. APK Alpha Available

Alpha testing build now available for android devices!
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.Duqueforce.Breakout

Hello Unity Community (Nice rhyme). For the past month or two, I have been working on a special breakout project in which it's main goal was to produce an infinite number of levels and each one with a randomly generated layout and randomly generated (but increasingly difficult) winning and playing conditions. The main Idea was to create a really good replay experience for users, in which they play the game and have a different challenging experience in each level in an unique way.

Fast forward two months and I have a breakout game with the following properties:

• Game starts at Level 1 with some randomly assigned basic level conditions: score goal, time limit, number of times you are allowed to touch the ball with the paddle, score penalty if you lose the ball, and ball speed multiplier (increases each level).
  • Each of these stage properties are randomly generated within a range (increasingly more difficult each level).
  • The brick layout in each level is 100% random (Y axis mirrored in the center) but although is a bit chaotic, it still looks great. There are also solid bricks that are randomly distributed along the stage.
  • Each brick when destroyed has a % chance of dropping "Mods" (or "powerups"... can't come up with a good name) that can alter the size of the ball, size of the paddle, give extra seconds to the time limit, split the ball, create an exploding ball, etc.
  • When the ball goes out of bounds, you don't immediately lose the game, instead there is a score penalty subtracted from your score and you are allowed to launch a new ball into the stage (This penalty increases as you pass more levels). If you have multiple ball objects in play, each one of them that goes out of bounds will have a score penalty too.
  • The game ends when the timer reaches zero or when you reach the limit allowed for ball touches in that level. You then need to start a new game from Level 1.
  • There are also missions for you to achieve, to add some extra depth to the game. Im planning on these missions to have randomly generated parameters too but that is not the case for now.

Screenshots:

Alpha testing build now available for android devices!
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.Duqueforce.Breakout

1 Like

Update

Updated the UI a bit and added some more missions. Playable builds will be distributed soon for you to play test and give feedback.

Update

Released a Alpha test build to Play Store. Go check it out!

Update
Minor fixes to Score requirement progression each level

Looks very interesting!

1 Like

Can we see a gameplay video?

Personally, I don't like the background, it doesn't contrast well with some of the blocks.
I'd prefer to see something a bit more basic or cartoony.

1 Like

The background is a scrolling and everything eventually scrolls down. It's a space background and all objects are generated randomly at random moments in the game and slowly scroll down to create good parallax effect. The brick sprites in the current build contrast a bit more with the background than the ones in the screenshots, I need to update the pics.

Example:

As for video, sure I can make one. Thanks for input!

2 Likes