Build failed from Mac - failed to write output files

Hello,

Most of our build for mac are made from Windows for fast debug step.
But we tried a build from Mac to have an IL2CPP build and we got multiple errors like this :

Building Library/Bee/artifacts/macStandalonePlayerBuildProgram/Features/Assembly-CSharp-FeaturesChecked.txt

Failed because this command failed to write the following output files :
Library/Bee/artifacts/macStandalonePlayerBuildProgram/Features/Assembly-CSharp-FeaturesChecked.txt

UnityEngine.GUIUtility: ProcessEvent (int, intpr, bool&) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:189)

There is no more information or stacktrace...
From Mac these errors exist with both Mono and IL2CPP and all of them are in the same folder and ends with "-FeaturesChecked.txt"

Current Unity version : 2021.2.10f1
Device : Mac Monterey 12.1

Thank you in advance for your ideas.
Nicolas.

I have the same error here from both mac Catalina 10.15 and Monterey 12.2. Unity 2021.2.7f1

Any ideas from the Unity team? This is preventing building on macOS..............................................................................

Hmm, I don't know what this is, but would like to take a look. Could you upload an Editor.log file when this happens? (Or file a bug and post case number here, the bug report will automatically include the latest editor.log)

@jonas-echterhoff_1 Thanks for the hint! It looks this was caused by a missing but now required Microphone permission description. Do you need me to file a bug report still? Relevant editor.log lines:

/Applications/Unity/2021.2.11f1/Unity.app/Contents/il2cpp/build/deploy/il2cpp @Library/Bee/artifacts/rsp/18279868254604606402.rsp
[ 709/1003  1s] ExtractUsedFeatures Library/Bee/artifacts/MacStandalonePlayerBuildProgram/Features/Visualizer-FeaturesChecked.txt
##### CommandLine
"/Applications/Unity/2021.2.11f1/Unity.app/Contents/Tools/netcorerun/netcorerun" "/Applications/Unity/2021.2.11f1/Unity.app/Contents/PlaybackEngines/MacStandaloneSupport/MacStandalonePlayerBuildProgram.exe" "/Applications/Unity/2021.2.11f1/Unity.app/Contents/Tools/BuildPipeline" invoke_static_method "Library/Bee/artifacts/csharpactions/Visualizer-FeaturesChecked.txt_ynac.info"
##### Failed because this command failed to write the following output files:
Library/Bee/artifacts/MacStandalonePlayerBuildProgram/Features/Visualizer-FeaturesChecked.txt
##### Output
Microphone class is used but Microphone Usage Description is empty in Player Settings.
System.Exception: Microphone class is used but Microphone Usage Description is empty in Player Settings.
   at PlayerBuildProgramLibrary.FeatureExtractor.Run(CSharpActionContext ctx, Boolean ignoreSystemDlls) in /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/IncrementalBuildPipeline/PlayerBuildProgramLibrary/FeatureExtractor.cs:line 35
*** Tundra build failed (1094.17 seconds - 0:18:14), 543 items updated, 1003 evaluated
Building Library/Bee/artifacts/MacStandalonePlayerBuildProgram/Features/Visualizer-FeaturesChecked.txt failed with output:
Failed because this command failed to write the following output files:
Library/Bee/artifacts/MacStandalonePlayerBuildProgram/Features/Visualizer-FeaturesChecked.txt
UnityEngine.StackTraceUtility:ExtractStackTrace () (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Scripting/StackTrace.cs:37)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogFormat (UnityEngine.LogType,UnityEngine.Object,string,object[])
UnityEngine.Logger:Log (UnityEngine.LogType,object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogError (object)
UnityEditor.Modules.BeeBuildPostprocessor:smile:efaultResultProcessor (Bee.BeeDriver.NodeResult,bool,bool) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Modules/BeeBuildPostprocessor.cs:442)
UnityEditor.Modules.BeeBuildPostprocessor:ReportBuildResults (Bee.BeeDriver.BeeDriverResult) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Modules/BeeBuildPostprocessor.cs:453)
UnityEditor.Modules.BeeBuildPostprocessor:PostProcess (UnityEditor.Modules.BuildPostProcessArgs) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Modules/BeeBuildPostprocessor.cs:543)
UnityEditor.OSXStandalone.OSXDesktopStandalonePostProcessor:PostProcess (UnityEditor.Modules.BuildPostProcessArgs) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/OSXPlayer/Extensions/Managed/OSXDesktopStandalonePostProcessor.cs:117)
UnityEditor.Modules.DefaultBuildPostprocessor:PostProcess (UnityEditor.Modules.BuildPostProcessArgs,UnityEditor.BuildProperties&) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Modules/DefaultBuildPostprocessor.cs:28)
UnityEditor.PostprocessBuildPlayer:Postprocess (UnityEditor.BuildTargetGroup,UnityEditor.BuildTarget,int,string,string,string,int,int,UnityEditor.BuildOptions,UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry,UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/PostprocessBuildPlayer.cs:370)
UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow/DefaultBuildMethods:BuildPlayer (UnityEditor.BuildPlayerOptions) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindowBuildMethods.cs:169)
UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow:CallBuildMethods (bool,UnityEditor.BuildOptions) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindowBuildMethods.cs:94)
UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow/<>c__DisplayClass43_0:<GUIBuildButtons>b__0 () (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindow.cs:1157)
UnityEditor.GenericMenu:CatchMenu (object,string[],int) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/GenericMenu.cs:127)
1 Like

It took me one day to find why our game does not compile. Can Unity, please, pre-fill the Camera, Microphone, and Bluetooth Usage Descriptions with some default text so that the build always compiles!? Thanks, Marek.

3 Likes

[quote=“Foriero”, post:6, topic: 870582]
It took me one day to find why our game does not compile. Can Unity, please, pre-fill the Camera, Microphone, and Bluetooth Usage Descriptions with some default text so that the build always compiles!? Thanks, Marek.
[/quote]

THIS! Or at least show a proper log with “Please, fill the camera, bluetooth and mic info”

1 Like

I have been having trouble with the same thing. I'll be grateful if you can give us a solution for this. thank you

That didn't solve it for me.
I created the project on PC and built on android, then copied over to mac, changed build type to ios, it built and I was able to build in xcode too.
Then after that it stopped building. Tried to delete the build folder but it didn't help, I get this long list of errors:

Failed because this command failed to write the following output file:
Library/Bee/artifacts/mvdfrm/Unity.xxxxxxxxxxxx.mvfrm

This is why do I hate mac and whole apple ecosystem so much... :);)

Edit: what solved it for me was to move the whole project from external drive on the Mac's HDD.
Don't ask me why it successfully built the first time, doesn't make much sense but anyway if anyone has the same issue, make sure the project is on local HDD

1 Like

[quote=“maxximme”, post:9, topic: 870582]
Edit: what solved it for me was to move the whole project from external drive on the Mac’s HDD.
Don’t ask me why it successfully built the first time, doesn’t make much sense but anyway if anyone has the same issue, make sure the project is on local HDD
[/quote]

This happens to me as well even using a 3000MB/s external SSD. It really sucks.

1 Like

Anyone get the solution of this problem??

[quote=“HoneyAura”, post:11, topic: 870582]
Anyone get the solution of this problem??
[/quote]

Use internal HDD

1 Like

For anyone hitting this wall, formatting external drive to APFS and giving Unity's JDK java full disk access did the trick for me.