Button not instantiating, no errors

Hello,

I’m pretty new to the programming world, as such I am planning on running through the exact steps of my problem here. Note that I am using Unity 5.0.1, so if you think it is just a problem with the version I will upgrade (I’m just too lazy too, since there isnt much too of a difference).

First, I created a new scene. Then, I made a new button using the dropdown menu. I then changed its dimensions and such to my liking.

Next, I created an empty prefab, and then filled it with the button using drag and drop. To test if it was working, I deleted my button in the scene, then dragged and dropped the prefab on the scene, creating a new button.

Finally, I set out to instantiate the button using a script. This is the only line of code that I have related to this, all variables in it were properly set.

GameObject chunk = Instantiate(Resources.Load("Chunk"), chunkMap[x,y,z].position, Quaternion.identity) as GameObject;

The prefab was named “Chunk”. From what I can tell, this should create an object in the scene, which can be seen in the hierarchy, and at the location I set it to. However, nothing shows up on screen or in the hierarchy.

After some research the only thing that could possibly be needed additionally is a line of code somewhere that looks like var Chunk: GameObject; but anywhere I put that it doesn’t seem to work.

Any time I run it I get no errors, any debug line I stick in there indicates that the code does reach, and pass that line. The “Chunk” prefab is in a Resources folder.

What am I missing (or doing wrong)?

That’s really weird, I can’t EXACTLY help your code since 5.0.1 is kinda outdated, but I can tell you what works for me in at least in 5.3. So maybe you want to test it if works.

*You should really consider upgrading unity, there are some really nice features, and some weird bug fixes :)… *

*You don’t need to do Resources.Load(); do get a prefab from the source, this will cause performance issues everytime this code runs, instead, do this:

using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections.Generic;

public class Script:MonoBehaviour{

public GameObject chunkPrefab;

GameObject ch = Instantiate<GameObject>(
      chunkPrefab, chunkMap[x,y,z].position, Quaternion.identity);
}

or, you also might want to reference .localPosition, and remove the generic if you can.

GameObject ch = Instantiate(
  chunkPrefab, chunkMap[x,y,z].localPosition, Quaternion.identity);

Well, I figured it out. Turns out it was spawning in the wrong scene… Because I was calling it from the wrong scene…

Well this is awkward.