Can a decal be folded over a mesh?

I am using a bullet decal system that I purchased. When a bullet is fired at a particular mesh surface a quad (with a decal texture) is placed onto the point of the mesh where the bullet collided, matching the direction of the surface normal. This works fine except for when firing at harsh edges such as the points of a cube, because after several shots you start to get a bunch of obvious quads sticking out of the points. I am wondering whether there is some way to have the decals fold to match the surface they are created on. The only solution I can think of is to use some kind of projection instead of a quad mesh for the decals. But since the default projector is quite performance intensive I’m not sure if that is the best solution. Is there a way that this could be done?

There’s an old thread here that may help.

I think the jist of it is, if the decal doesn’t fall nicely in bounds of a face, you find which faces it is hitting, then calculate the average of their normals and use that to project the decal instead of using the quad.

Thanks for that. The Fast Shadow Receiver on the asset store looks interesting as well: Unity Asset Store - The Best Assets for Game Making