Can HDRP Pixel Displacement create a boxy line renderer?

I've been trying to make a "3D" line renderer, but I'm not having much luck. By "3D" I mean I want it to be extruded from the surface, rather than being purely 2D. Picture something kind of like this:

The cord protector has some height, and I thought I could maybe use the Lit shader with a height map to give the liner renderer some height. So far, none of the results look like anything realistic (things are moving as the camera moves), so I was wondering if this is even possible. Can a Line Renderer use a HDRP Lit shader with a height map to achieve some height?

No, the design of pixel displacement is to dig only, or inset. It's designed for cracks and detail that will go in.

Using tessellation is for extruding detail in or out. If I was doing a cord protector I would make a mesh with a good normal map for grooves.

1 Like

[quote=“hippocoder”, post:2, topic: 726320]
No, the design of pixel displacement is to dig only, or inset. It’s designed for cracks and detail that will go in.

Using tessellation is for extruding detail in or out. If I was doing a cord protector I would make a mesh with a good normal map for grooves.
[/quote]

Thanks for the insight. Mesh it is.