Cannot GetComponentInChild of a Prefab

I am trying to create a UI panel with a Text object as its child into a prefab. Every time the function is called it’s supposed to produce this prefab. I am getting this error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

The function looks like this:

private void CreateLines() {
			foreach (var line in lines) {
				message = new GameObject("New Message");

message.transform.SetParent(content, false);
				messageText = message.GetComponentInChildren<Text>(true);
				messageText.text = line.text;    
			}
		}

In my searching, it looks like this is not possible currently. If this is the case, what is a good work around?

You mixed up terms that don’t belong here. You don’t have any prefabs involved here. All you do is creating a new empty gameobject each for loop iteration. Of course a new empty gameobject doesn’t have any components except the Tranform component.

GetComponent / GetComponentInChildren will search for an existing component on the given object and return the reference to it if one was found. As i said an empty gameobject doesn’t have any components, so obviously GetComponentInChildren will return null. There’s also no point in using GetComponentInChildren over GetComponent in this case since a new gameobject doesn’t have any children and you don’t attach any.

It’s not really clear what you want to do. I see two possible scenarios:

• You actually created a prefab in the project that should represent a message. This prefab may have a Text component on a child object. If that’s the case you don’t want to use new GameObject but instead use message = Instantiate(yourPrefabReference); to create an instance of your prefab.
  • If you don’t have a prefab setup in your project and you actually want to create the object on the fly procedurally, you should use message .AddComponent<Text>() to add a new Text component to your message object. Though keep in mind that you have to initialize everything manually

In many cases it’s easier to setup a prefab in the editor and instantiate it at runtime.

You actually created a prefab in the project that should represent a message. This prefab may have a Text component on a child object. If that’s the case you don’t want to use new GameObject but instead use message = Instantiate(yourPrefabReference); to create an instance of your prefab.

Thank you, this works now.

private void CreateLines() {
			foreach (var line in lines) {
				message = Instantiate(message);

message.transform.SetParent(content, false);
				messageText = message.GetComponent<Text>();
				messageText.text = line.text;
			}
		}