Can't get Unity intellisense to work in Visual Studio 2019 windows 10 using C#

When I open a C# script inside Unity Visual Studio does open and I can write/edit the scripts. However, there is no intellisense for Unity. When I type in a Unity object/class there is no suggested/available methods/variables that pop up.

Thanks for any help :slight_smile:

If anyone else has this problem I found the solution - in Unity: Edit → Preferences → External Tools → External scripts editor = Visual Studio 2019

Thanks, I had the same problem and when I checked the preferences I had “open by file extension” instead of “Visual Studio 2019”. When I switched to VS it worked.

Cheers.

Thank you, this was driving me crazy. Your solution worked.

I’m really frustrated. VS 2019 Intellisense worked for me without problems for a log time, this morning it just stopped. Nothing helps, tried numerous advices I googled. It happened once before. At that time I found out that I needed to update Visual Studio Package inside Unity. I did it and it worked then. Now when I look at this package, it’s ‘up to date’, so I can’t update it or anything. Tried to ‘Unload/Reload’ solution in VS as other people recommended, but it didn’t help either.
Probably will switch to paid Rider …

You can turn on Intellisense and Unity code suggestions in visual studio (if you have selected “Game Development with Unity” in the Workloads of your version) by going in the top left of VS Edit-Advanced-Format Document.

,You can turn on Intellisense and Unity code suggestions in visual studio (if you have selected “Game Development with Unity” in the Workloads of your version) by going in the top left of VS Edit-Advanced-Format Document.