Capturing for Video

Hello I was wanting to know what would be the best way (and free) to record your game to use as a quicktime so I can add it onto after effects as I am wanting to make showcase of different work.

I have used programes such as camstudio in the past however the quality in these doesnt seem to good very blocky.

I use Telestream's Screenflow to make tutorials and record desktop lectures for my classes. It is a great solution, but Mac Only. Hope that helps

I use Hypercam2 and it works well enough for what I do with it. Not sure if you've tried that one yet.

CamStudio and WinFF are both free and do the trick. WinFF is a GUI wrapper on the ffmpeg command line utility. There is a lossless codec available for CamStudio that provides best quality, but huge files. Use WinFF to convert to mp4 or whatever you like.

Note that you may need to reduce screen resolution in order for the video capture to keep up with your game.

And after messing around with a couple of other solutions, I found that fraps beat everything else hands-down for ease of use and high-performance capture. The downside is that if you want to record more than 30 seconds at a time you need to buy a licensed copy.