Changes to prefab instance generated from script aren't remembered

In an Editor script I spawned a linked instance to a prefab, but all changes i make to it are ignored (not reflected in the scene).

GameObject gameObj = PrefabUtility.InstantiatePrefab(myPrefabObj) as GameObject;

// does nothing
gameObj.name = "test";
gameObj.transform.localPosition = pos;
gameObj.transform.localScale = scale;

However, if I use GameObject gameObj = Instantiate(myPrefabObj) as GameObject;, everything works fine (except the instance isn’t linked to the prefab).

I verified that myPrefabObj is a Prefab GameObject and gameObj is a PrefabInstance (by using PrefabUtility.GetPrefabType).

What could I be doing wrong?

Like with all editor script which modify serialized data you have to tell the serialization system about the change. Usually for objects in the scene you would use Undo.RecordObject before you do your changes. Basically like this:

GameObject gameObj = PrefabUtility.InstantiatePrefab(myPrefabObj) as GameObject;
Undo.RecordObject(gameOb, "Changed object properties");
gameObj.name = "test";

Though in your case Undo.RegisterCreatedObjectUndo may work as well like this:

gameObj.name = "test";
Undo.RegisterCreatedObjectUndo(gameObj, "Created instance");

If nothing works you can always use EditorSceneManager.MarkSceneDirty. Though you should use this only in extreme cases. It will always mark the scene dirty and will force the user to save the scene regardless of any changes.