Changing the texture of another GameObject when pressing E

Hi all

I have created a collider that displays “press e” and I want to change the texture of a gameobject when I do so. My code works fine and prints the logs. The issue I am having is that the game object im am trying to change the texture from is not the one my script is attached to. I referenced my gameobject and made an array to try to change the material from the same script I set on the collider.

In my script I also created an array that lists the 2 textures I want to transition from. Note that I want to be able to switch back from one to the other with every click.

This is my script :

using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;
using UnityEngine.UI;

public class textirebutton : MonoBehaviour
{
	public GameObject OpenPanel = null;
	public GameObject hotl_exterior;
	public Material[] material;
    // Start is called before the first frame update

void Start()
    {
		//disable panel on start
		OpenPanel.SetActive(false);
		hotl_exterior = GetComponent<GameObject>();

}

//enable on trigger enter
	void OnTriggerEnter(Collider other)
	{
		if(other.tag == "Player")
		{
			OpenPanel.SetActive(true);
			//Debug.Log("Entered");
		}
	}

void OnTriggerStay(Collider other)
	{

if(Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.E) && other.tag == "Player")
		{
			Debug.Log("E pressed");
			hotl_exterior.GetComponent<Renderer>().material = material[1];
		}

}

//disable on trigger exit
	void OnTriggerExit(Collider other)
	{
		if(other.tag == "Player")
		{
			OpenPanel.SetActive(false);
			//Debug.Log("Exit");
		}
    }

}

The error I get is :

MissingComponentException: There is no ‘GameObject’ attached to the “trigger” game object, but a script is trying to access it.
You probably need to add a GameObject to the game object “trigger”. Or your script needs to check if the component is attached before using it.
UnityEngine.GameObject.GetComponent[T] () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/GameObject.bindings.cs:28)
textirebutton.OnTriggerStay (UnityEngine.Collider other) (at Assets/textirebutton.cs:40)

Im sure the mistake is in that line where I try to access the material in the ontriggerstay function.
I am not sure however, what I did wrong. Please someone help me :frowning:

Apologies for the display there is so much text

hotl_exterior = GetComponent();
use this instead of ------- On Start()
hotl_exterior = gameObject.this;

When you are checking the other.tag == “Player” try doing other.gameobject.tag == “Player”, because variable other is by type just a Collider which is a type of Component of a GameObject.