Character Animation help

I've been following this tutorial on animating a character :

http://www.unitylabs.net/tutorials/character-controllers/third-person-character-controller

I get the concept of splitting animations but im having one major problem i can't seem to understand. I downloaded the given model from the tutorial and loaded it up in Maya...As i was checking out the different walk/run cycles, i started to get confused because the way the author split his animations doesn't make sense to me. In MAYA, the cycles begin and end on different frame numbers then the ones that the author split them into.

Example, He split the animation from 200-230 for the walking cycle...but in maya, those frames show the character doing the running cycle...Also, the running cycle is split up into frames that show zero animation inside maya and so on...

I then re-imported the model and changed the splitting of the frames to what matches inside Maya...after i did this, all the animations get totally messed up...can somebody please explain to me what is going on or what type of approach the author of this tutorial is taking??? I cant seem to understand how to properly split my animations...

IIRC, when importing FBX into Maya, Maya ignores FrameRate setting in the FBX file and just uses the default one. So the frames do not match. I can't remember if FBX import dialog shows you the framerate of file file you're importing, but you can always try to match frame rate manually. Just try switching to various most expected options (30FPS, 24FPS - Film, 25FPS - PAL) in Maya.