Check if other object has fired a Collision Event

Hey, I’m wondering if there’s a way to check if a referenced object has collided with something. I know you can do this with a fairly simple script on the referenced object, but I want to know if it’s possible to do this without setting up said script on the referenced object itself.

The reason I need this is because I’m making a simple pickup script using Joints to move an object around. Now I need this object to detatch when I smash it hard enough against a surface. I can’t use the breakForce inherited on the Joint as it’ll break if I move it too fast. So my idea is to check in my Pickup Script if the object I’m holding is colliding.

Pseudo Example:

public GameObject heldObject;

if(heldObject.collider.CollisionEnter)
{
//DoStuff
}

Yes. Search google for ‘Unity Collider’.

In the Collision functions, the Collider Argument is a container for the item that was hit by the collider. You have various access to this object through a call to the Collision. There are widespread examples of this on t’internet and right here on UA.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/Collider.OnCollisionEnter.html

Couldn’t you just toggle a bool variable on/off as the object enters/exits the collider and check that variable state?