[CLOSED] how can i get the 'e' key to work on every press?

i have Power boxes that are connected to lights in my game, when i stand at a box and Press the ‘E’ key it works; it turns them on and off. but there is a horrible delay between them if i keep pressing the key.

it’s like the key works, but doesn’t work.

what i want to do is make it to where i can click ‘e’ as many times as i want (with very very little delay as possible)

bare in mind here… this is an example of what happens. the “E” is me actually pressing the button in a fast manner. and the (on) and (off) are the lights.

E-E-E-E-E (on) E- (off) E-E-E (on) E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E (off) ect.

it’s like i’m doing morse code, and my game is communicating through the lights…

this is what they look like, the power boxes are on walls.[13312-token+1005.png|13312]

they are marked as trigger, with the " function OnTriggerStay() " only way i could get it to work, without clicking accross the room. then this one is the lights the boxes control. the lights are the ones with the squares around them.

[13313-token+1006.png|13313]

here is the code i use for the light boxes.

CODE:
var linkedLight : Light;

function OnTriggerStay()
 {
        if(Input.GetKeyDown("e"))

{
			linkedLight.enabled = !linkedLight.enabled;
   		}

}

function LightOff (){
 linkedLight.enabled = false;
} 

i don’t know where the problem is, i looked over other unity3D questions couldn’t find anything that matched right.

if anyone could help, that would be great.

Thanks.

-Ownerfate.

After a few months of teaching my self and looking on unity and youtube about scripting i have come to one way of doing this. (Not the original way i wanted to)

but the script is something close to this.

var lights : GameObject; // this is actually the Empty game object that the light is attached to.

function OnTirggerStay (){

if(Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.E)){

lights.active = !lights.active; // it's the same has the original code i posted a while back, but instead of using the light, it uses the EmptyGameObject.

}

}