Collision issue with SetParent (C#)

I’m developing a 2D game where I have a power up that sets a shield as parent on the player. The shield has it’s own tag. But I have a problem, once the player gets the shield, I set it as parent and once an enemy collides with the player and the shield the player dies, making it seem that the player didn’t have a shield at all.

I’ve set the enemies so that they should collide with a “Player” tag and kill the player, but i want to have it so that when the shield is in use, the enemies is going to collide and “bounce” off. Should I ignore the players collision when the player has a shield or is there some other way to solve this? Keep in mind that the enemies move with a speed, so could it be that the enemies move too fast so they still collide with the “Player” tag?

I’m grateful for all the help I can get, you guys are great!!

Here’s the code for spawning shield:

public void SpawnShield()
	{
		// Get the transform ahead of time for readability
		Transform charTransform = GetComponent<MoveScript>().character.transform;

// Instantiate and keep track of the new instance
		GameObject newShield = Instantiate(shield, charTransform.position, charTransform.rotation) as GameObject;

// Set parent
		newShield.transform.SetParent(charTransform);

shieldPowerUpActivated = true;

}

and here is the enemy collision code:

public void OnCollisionEnter2D(Collision2D col)
	{
		//If the enemy collides with "Player" load level
		if(col.gameObject.tag == "Player")
		{
			Application.LoadLevel(0);	
		}
	}

Yes, an object (especially a fast-moving one) may easily collide with both the shield and the player inside it at the same time. Your player-collision code should simply check whether the shield is currently in effect, and if so, ignore that collision.