Copy collider material on trigger

HI, I would like to start by pointing out that I am not a complete newbie to programming, but I am only learning C# for the second day. I programmed my first simple game (snake :slight_smile: ) in Turbo Pascal in high school, and one (maze) in unity years ago using JS.
Now I’m creating a virtual showroom using SteamVR and need to use interactive elements. One of them is a color palette made up of a mesh object. I’m using custom sphere to pick color from each part of the palette (19 colors in total). The idea is that the sphere touches a material on the palette and that material is immediately displayed on the desired object (in my case lift cladding). I understand roughly how C# works, but I am unable to effectively track down the correct functions. I am using HDRP.
Script should be attached to the sphere, but I was also considering attaching it to palette meshes.
So far I ended up with this:

using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;

public class ChangeCladdingMaterial : MonoBehaviour
{
    public GameObject liftCladding;
    public Material material;
    Renderer rend;

void Start()
    {
        rend = GetComponent<Renderer>();
        rend.enabled = true;
        rend.sharedMaterial = material;
    }

void OnTriggerEnter(Collider coll)
    {
    if (coll.gameObject.tag == "Palette")
    {
     // first I was thinking something like this could work:
     // rend = liftCladding.material._BaseColor = ???;

// or something like this:
     // liftCladding.material.SetColor("_Color", ???);

}
}

Thanks for anybodys help by pointing me into the right direction.

Thank you for your reply @CodesCove !
I want to set color from palette to replace base color of existing material on the cladding.
The palette consists of several meshes, each of which has its own color - it can also be a material that is applied to the target object. But Id like to use the easiest possible way.
189635-palette.jpg

Cladding material (maps will be added and should remain the same for every color):

I think you have good start in your code… Here is the simple example

public static  MeshRenderer selectedTargetRenderer; //You can define this static variable also elsewhere. Just remeber to set the reference to the selected object

private void OnTriggerEnter(Collider palletteCollider)
{
  if (palletteCollider.CompareTag("Palette")) this.CopyMaterialColorFromPalette(palletteCollider.GetComponent<MeshRenderer>());
}

private void CopyMaterialColorFromPalette(MeshRenderer selectedPalletteRenderer)
{        
    if (selectedPalletteRenderer != null && selectedTargetRenderer != null) selectedTargetRenderer.material.color = selectedPalletteRenderer.material.color;
}

Attach above code (or similar) to the selector object.

As commented in the code I would store the selected object / renderer to a static variable so it’s easily accessible from everywhere.

Notice that material.color refers to the main color of the material.