A few days ago I switched from editing a script in Visual Studio back to Unity (2019.2.10), using HDRP which crashed Unity - when I opened the project again, only a few items in my scene were visible at all, with pink error materials, most items were not visible in the scene and all references to any scripts showed missing script / not monobehaviour.
In the console, I have these two errors:
Copying assembly from ‘Temp/UnityEngine.UI.dll’ to ‘Library/ScriptAssemblies/UnityEngine.UI.dll’ failed
Copying assembly from ‘Temp/UnityEngine.TestRunner.dll’ to ‘Library/ScriptAssemblies/UnityEngine.TestRunner.dll’ failed
I tried reinstalling unity, installing a newer version (unity 2019.2.10 to 2019.2.11, also tried with latest Beta) and have same issue and errors with the project folder. I have a backup folder from a week ago, which when I open it on the same PC results in the same error - I also see that the \Library\ScriptAssemblies folder becomes empty after being opened in unity on this PC. I’ve tried copy pasting everything from that folder back in after opening, no change.
I opened the backup folder on a different PC with 2019.2.11 and was able to open it as normal - however the folder that appears to have been corrupted on the other PC results in the same issue on either PC.
It appears that opening any of my projects (pre-crash and post-crash) results in them being irretrievably corrupted on my main desktop - my other laptop can run a pre-crash project no problem, but that laptop is not good enough to run VR, so I can’t use it for developing this project.
I’ve tried all of the fixes provided by other users here: Nothing works at all:
- I have already uninstalled and deleted both versions of Unity, deleted everything unity or unity technlogies in my AppData folder, also deleted a ton of keys under unity or unity technlogies in registry.
- tried reimporting all assets, resetting packages to default
- I have also tried disabling antivirus, scanning for viruses, (found a bit miner but still having same problem)
- ensuring I have full admin control of the folders in my project
- deleting temp folders
- starting a new project and importing a custom package that I exported which included most of the assets in my project, (scripts, scene, models, prefabs)- importing the asset package causes the same issue (on my desktop, not on my laptop.)
- opening visual studio and editing a script then going back to unity, no change.
- I’m not using collaborate or multiplayer package.
- The problem never goes away by restarting unity
- List item
My next option is to reinstall windows, but as I seem to have removed unity fully already I don’t know will this definitely fix things - if anyone has any other solutions please help!
I have filed a bug report also.