Creating a spread of bullets

I have gotten my code so that it fires two bullets, but currently they fire to the exact same position, but I have been trying many different ways (without success) to angle the second bullet slightly to one side at a fixed angle.

My code:

if (lookRight) {
			//first bullet
			Vector3 sp = Camera.main.WorldToScreenPoint(transform.position);
			Vector3 dir = (Input.mousePosition - sp).normalized;
			Rigidbody2D bPrefab = Instantiate (staffBulletPrefab, transform.position, Quaternion.identity) as Rigidbody2D;
			bPrefab.rigidbody2D.AddForce (dir * 650);
			coolDown = Time.time + attackRate;
			float rot_z = Mathf.Atan2(dir.y, dir.x) * Mathf.Rad2Deg;
			bPrefab.rigidbody2D.transform.rotation = Quaternion.Euler(0f, 0f, rot_z - 45);

//second bullet
			Vector3 dir2 = (Input.mousePosition - sp).normalized;
			Rigidbody2D bPrefab1 = Instantiate (staffBulletPrefab, transform.position, Quaternion.identity) as Rigidbody2D;
			bPrefab1.rigidbody2D.AddForce (dir2 * 650);
			coolDown = Time.time + attackRate;
			float rot_z1 = Mathf.Atan2(dir2.y, dir2.x) * Mathf.Rad2Deg;
			bPrefab1.rigidbody2D.transform.rotation = Quaternion.Euler(0f, 0f, rot_z1 - 45);
		} 

As always, any help what so ever is greatly appreciated! :slight_smile:

You are applying the force on both the bullets in the same direction. Try changing the direction of applying force to second bullet.

bPrefab1.rigidbody2D.AddForce ((dir2 + new Vector3(0.1f, 0f, 0f) )* 650);

In above code the direction of applying is deviated by 0.1f in x axis. Just get the logic and you can apply deviation in any way you want.

To spread the bullets randomly you can probably do something like:

Vector3 newDir = (dir.x + Random.Range(0.0f, 0.1f), dir.y + Random.Range(0.0f, 0.1f), dir.z + Random.Range(0.0f, 0.1f)).normalized;
Rigidbody2D bPrefab = Instantiate (staffBulletPrefab, transform.position, Quaternion.identity) as Rigidbody2D;
bPrefab.rigidbody2D.AddForce (dir * 650);

This will simply vary the values a little and normalize it again.

Edit

If you actually want to spread the bullets by a fixed angle you can try something like:

Quaternion rotation = Quaternion.Euler(0f, 0f, rot_z1 - 45); 
Vector3 newDir = rotation * dir;
bPrefab.rigidbody2D.AddForce (newDir * 650);

That should rotate the direction vector by your rotation as well.

Though, you might have a simpler alternative. You are (presumably) already rotating your sprite. You can simply add the force locally. Though unfortunately the 2D tools don’t seem to have an AddRelativeForce method, you can:

bPrefab.rigidbody2D.AddForce(bPrefab.transform.forward * 650);

This should essentially just propel the bullet forward with respect to itself, which is probably what you want.