Creating a system for rendering static images

So… This is something I’m struggling to even parse in words, so I’m gonna ask and hope someone can help me out.

I have a game I’m working on that is very arcade and rogue lite in feel. And, in part of playing the game, I want to be able to generate image effects on screen. Not the type that happens in post-processing, but rendering actual images to the screen for a brief amount of time and then deloading them.

Say, for example, I hit an enemy with a lightning attack that chains to another enemy. Programmatically I can make the enemies take damage, that’s easy. But I also want to have a lightning sprite that draws from one enemy to the other for a few seconds and then disappears.

Another example would be, say, AOE effects. If I make an AOE in the shape of a circle, I’d want to be able to draw a circle that shows visually where the attack happens, and then despawn it when the attack is done.

I don’t know what to call this. An image library, or a static image thingy, I genuinely have no clue how to approach solving this sort of deal. If anyone can point me out in a good direction, or at least tell me what this sort of Design Pattern is even called, I’d vastly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

You can just instantiate, scale and rotate an object with a sprite renderer. If you aren’t sure how to do this I suggest looking up a basic tutorial on sprites, and instantiating prefabs.