}

Now I need to include a ‘test’ instance in another script:

using UnityEngine;

public class bigclass: MonoBehaviour {
   public test mytest;
   //several other components
}

THE RETARDED PROBLEM

No matter what I do, I can’t get a custom editor to work for ‘bigclass’ since I receive
two OnInspectorGUI nullreferenceexception

using UnityEditor;
using UnityEngine;

[CustomEditor(typeof(bigclass))]
public class bigclasseditor : Editor {
   public override void OnInspectorGUI()
   {
      bigclass myclass = (bigclass)target;
      //MYTEST IS -ALWAYS NULL- REGARDLESS OF HOW WELL IT WORKS AS A SINGLE COMPONENT
      myclass.mytest.var1 = EditorGUILayout.Vector3Field("Var 1", myclass.mytest.var1); 
      //put here to understand how the inspector sees the component
      DrawDefaultInspector();
   }
}

As a matter of fact, the inspector shows it as an object, with ‘none’ value without the custom editor, so why on earth it’s not initialized to its default values as it does when it’s instantiated singularly?

I’ve even tried converting to stand alone classes, but doing such I can’t build a custom inspector for them since I am unable to assign the ‘target’ to ‘test’ for iteration.

"CS0030: Cannot convert type `UnityEngine.Object' to `test'"

There must be something I’m missing to see here, but despite hours of searching and trying, I can’t understand why the ‘test’ instance isn’t instantiated by ‘bigclass’. It makes no sense at all. I even tried the executeineditormode approach without the slightest change in result.

Hopefully there’s someone able to help with this issue. Even refactoring the whole data structure led me to the same problem.

(I’m making this an answer, because it’s rapidly becoming too large for the comments section)

Well, no- if you make the custom editor for the MonoBehaviour derived bigclass (which I don’t like the non-capitalisation of, but let’s sort out your real problem before getting into nitpicking), then target will be a ‘bigclass’ type object, which is all well and good. However, you say that the problem arises because of one of the members of bigclass, namely one of the type ‘test’ which never gets instantiated (which, frankly, doesn’t surprise me, since nowhere in there do you manually instantiate it, and you’re not assigning it in the editor because that would defeat the purpose).

What I’m saying is that while ‘bigclass’ must derive from MonoBehaviour for the custom editor to work, ‘test’ does not- the problem is that test is a reference type, not a value type! Nowhere do you create a new one, so obviously it will always return null. If test looked more like this-

public struct test{
    public Vector3 var1 = new Vector3(1,2,3);
    public string var2 = "ghhghahgh";
}

your specific problem would go away. Of course, Unity still can’t serialise this, so won’t save it between sessions. Otherwise, use

[System.Serializable]
public class test {
    public Vector3 var1 = new Vector3(1,2,3);
    public string var2 = "ghhghahgh";
}

which, by the way, you wouldn’t need a custom editor to be able to see if you made it a public member of a MonoBehaviour.

What are you doing in the ‘test’ class which so requires it to derive from MonoBehaviour? I understand why the bigclass object needs to, I don’t dispute that, but nothing you’ve said has explained to me why all its members have to as well.