Customize Editor: override icons doesn't work

Hi.

In this post @jonathans42 mentions we can override icons

“As for icons, they can be overridden by creating a folder “Editor Default Resources\Icons” and putting icons with a similar name to built-ins one.”

I tried it but no result. Tested on 2019.2 and 2019.4 on jonathans42’s provided project.

Am I missing something?

Is there some documentation about this?

Thanks

1 Like

@Aras , quality of life maestro, got some info on that?

Hi @jonathans42 .

Sorry to bother you and insist about this but the new icons are broken and all grey. I really need a fix for it.

Do you have a working example of the “Editor Default Resources\Icons” you mentioned before? I tried researching it but “UI” and “icons” are very common terms in our fields so it’s like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Thanks

I really would like to overwrite the "new" icons with the old unity icons, the new ones are so much harder to read and to me simply dont look visually appealing or friendly to the eye at all. This has been making using Unity so much worse and less fun.

1 Like

Sadly, they won’t fix it. https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/overriding-icons-wont-work-when-overriding-icons-that-are-in-the-project-window

Unity switched their target demographic to beginners these past years and this kind of issue only affect power/senior users.

1 Like

I love this custom hierarchy, maybe there is some code here that might be able to help.

febucci/unitypackage-custom-hierarchy: Unity package to help having a clearer Hierarchy view, organizing everything in a “tree view” and including extra informations like Components Icons and groups/divisors. (github.com)

1 Like

Thanks but this wouldn’t fix it and create even more confusion by having different icons between the hierarchy and the inspector.

This is not a matter of finding someone who made it work because the feature allowing that kind of override is broken. If Unity fixed it, I would have shared the finished result on the asset store already.

PS : note that what you see here isn’t good practice. You can set custom icons to your classes from the project window and they won’t be limited to the hierarchy.

1 Like