Dealing with placing large amounts of objects via script?

Ok so I got pretty tired of trying to use the terrainData to place trees and rocks, so instead I opted to make a separate script that will do that for me… Which will give me some more freedoms and options for the said objects. Like destroying them on contact.

So what I have now are some objects(prefabs) like rocks that get instantiated at various positions on a VERY, VERY LARGE MAP…(That gets cut up into different neighbors). The objects also have 3 level LODS on them, but there has to be a massive amount of them and I don’t want the whole scene in the editor clogged up with thousands of such things. So how would I go about minimizing this?

Also, is it still worse than using the terrainData detail meshes way? How much worse? IS there a way to make it similar?

My game WIP thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/omega-void-wip.200629/

“Which will give me some more freedoms and options for the said objects. Like destroying them on contact.”
I don’t know what you mean by this but I think you are talking about procedurally placing objects, this is very easy, either ray cast a position on your map that will instance a object on the map or do it though a height map.

“So how would I go about minimizing this?”
If I understand your question. I hate making prefabs and muddling up my editor. So I make a new parent in code and parent it to hold all the new objects.

objectHolder= new GameObject("Scene Object Holder");

rockobject.transform.parent = objectHolder.transform; //This childs whatever object you want to a new game object.