Differentiate between button click and screen click - Pause button not working

Hello,
I have a problem for several hours now. I have a pause button to pause my game. The game fires a projectile on a mouse click. Every time I click on the pause button, the projectile is fired before the pause menu opens. The Click-Event on the button sets a boolean to false, so the Input should not be detected.
Things I tried so far:

• Creating a bool to disable Input
  • Setting time-scale to 0 (not working, pause menu not showing)
  • Using LateUpdate or OnGUI-method instead of (Fixed)Update

Debug.Log - tests showed, that the click event is earlier called in the (Fixed)-Update method than the button recognizes the click. What can I do to differentiate the clicks?

What you can do is have the game check to see if the mouse is over any UI elements (like buttons) before firing. The RectTransformUtility class has a function to see if a RectTransform contains a screen point that is perfect for this situation. You’ll just need an array or something of possible mouse blockers.

Here is a function that is working very fine for me.

I found “UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem.current.IsPointerOverGameObject()”. This return a bool which can be used to differentiate between the clicks done in the screen area and the clicks done on the UI button.

Example:

if (Input.GetMouseButtonDown (0) && bulletCount > 0 && !UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem.current.IsPointerOverGameObject())
{
BulletSpawn();
}

Cheers! :slight_smile:

Just use OnPointerDown instead of OnMouseDown and you won’t have the clicking through problem. No need to hack around like this and it will also work on mobile.