Disabled inspector on FBX imported object

Hi,

I’ve imported an FBX file into unity but I cannot modify it’s properties, the inspector is disabled (grayed out). I can modify instances of the FBX prefab, to assig a material for example ass seen in the image, but also I cannot apply this change on the prefab.

What do I have to do to be able to modify the prefab??

Regards,
Julián

I’m not 100% sure but I think that you simply can’t modify (most) values of imported models. You can use asset postprocessor scripts if you need to do something on every import.

If you need to adjust values afterwards you can also just make a new prefab from it which WILL be modifiable:

1. Drag the imported asset into your scene
  2. Search it in the Hierarchy list and drag it back to the location in the Project window where you want it to be
  3. You will now have a new prefab called something like “Old Name (1)” that you can edit and use (and you should probably also rename it).

I’ve dropped the imported prefab on the scene, but the animations seem to be missing. They are present in the imported prefab, but missing in the instance after I dropped it in the scene.

The first image is the imported FBX prefab, with the animations but unmodifiable. The second image is the modifiable prefab that I made of the instance but the animations are missing.

Can I copy them, transfer them from the imported FBX prefab to the prefab made out of the instance??