Event-based spawning

Hi!

This is really an architecture / pattern issue… don’t know where it belongs. I hope it’s not misplaced or a “what kind of ice cream do you like”-type question. If so, please feel free to ignore me =)

I’m trying to set up an event-based spawning of various objects, and I’m looking for a clean way to do it. I have a class (non-MonoBehaviour) that holds the ‘blueprint’ for the object to be spawned. I have lots of instances of that class, so I like that it is NOT a MonoBehaviour, 'cause it keeps it clean (should use a struct, maybe…). Then I want the game engine to fire events, carrying the game state (an int called ‘height’), triggering callbacks to instantiate based on the blueprint.

My challenge is to do this in a clean way. Right now I’m nestling the classes in a kind of ugly way, which I would like to avoid if possible.

So: can I do this in a way that keeps the ObstacleSpec (‘blueprint’) class free from any logic, thus separating creation from blueprint? Or is this code actually fine, I’m I just whining?

The code works, it’s just that I feel it could be done alot better. I do kind of understand events and delegates and that stuff, but I’m hardly a pro… Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

My code is (basically):

public delegate void EntryEventHandler(int height);

public class LevelBehaviour : MonoBehaviour {

public event EntryEventHandler Entry;
	protected virtual void OnEntry(int height) {
		if (Entry != null) {
			Entry(height);
		}
	}

//This is called from a game engine singleton, at the appropriate occasions... No trouble here
	public void performLevelActions(int currentHeight) {
		OnEntry(currentHeight);	
	}

public void Spawn(ObstacleSpec os) {
		Instantiate... etc, i.e. MonoBehaviour-based operations, and set stuff based on information in blueprint

}

}

public class ObstacleSpec {

LevelBehaviour levelBehaviour;
	int entryHeight;

//various other properties

public ObstacleSpec(LevelBehaviour levelBehaviour, int entryHeight, ...) {

this.levelBehaviour = levelBehaviour;
		this.entryHeight = entryHeight;
		this. ... = ...;

//Subscribe to the listener, REALLY want to avoid referencing LevelBehaviour from inside ObstacleSpec!
		levelBehaviour.Entry += new EntryEventHandler(PerformEntry);

}

//REALLY want to avoid referencing LevelBehaviour from inside ObstacleSpec! Can I move this outside, somehow?
	void PerformEntry(int height) {
		if(height == entryHeight) {
			levelBehaviour.Spawn(this);
		}
	}
}

You could try this method to send a message to LevelBehaviour without referencing it, or else use a singleton for LevelBehaviour.