Export vertex color info on a terrain to an image

Hi,

I have a terrain with my textures blended through vertex painting. Is there a way for me to export the vertex color information on the terrain as an image file? I want to use a mesh instead of a terrain, I already found the script that will help me do this, and use one large texture instead of using vertex blending. Just don't want to have to recreate how the textures are blended by hand in Photoshop. Does anyone know how to achieve this?

Thank you for your time,
Jason

I don't have a good answer for you but no one else has replied since Friday so I'll say what I can say.

You would first have to get the vertex data such as the vertex color. Then you would have to write it to a file on disk. I'm not sure how to do either in Unity or if its even possible. I'm wondering if the blending data is the color? Perhaps its using the gray scale of the color to determine which texture to use in what percentage? If you do your own mesh, I would think you have access to the vertex data.

Thanks for the reply, BBeck. I ended up just taking a top-down high res screenshot and used it as a texture. I used a script found in this thread to get some super high detail (9k and up): http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127371

The screenshot texture as it is works for what I need. For future reference, if anyone else might have this need they could use the same method and go one step further by baking the texture (or modified texture) to the verticies of an exported terrain mesh to recreate most of the vertex blend.

1 Like