FATAL: Unity requires internet connection to function properly

I just installed an asset and was wondering why the menus didn't appear. All I saw in the console was an unrelated error as listed below. I didn't associate the missing menus with that error. However after all tries failed I disabled some firewall settings. And all of a sudden everything worked as expected.

That's a FATAL error, that's absolutely unacceptable.

Here's the stack:

Unhandled Exception: Grpc.Core.RpcException: Status(StatusCode="Internal", Detail="Error starting gRPC call. HttpRequestException: Requesting HTTP version 2.0 with version policy RequestVersionOrHigher while unable to establish HTTP/2 connection.", DebugException="System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: Requesting HTTP version 2.0 with version policy RequestVersionOrHigher while unable to establish HTTP/2 connection.
   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.ThrowGetVersionException(HttpRequestMessage, Int32) + 0x80
   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.<SendWithVersionDetectionAndRetryAsync>d__83.MoveNext() + 0xb7d
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() + 0x20
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task) + 0xb6
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task) + 0x42
   at System.Net.Http.RedirectHandler.<SendAsync>d__4.MoveNext() + 0x1f0
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task) + 0x42
   at Grpc.Net.Client.Internal.GrpcCall`2.<RunCall>d__72.MoveNext() + 0xf01")
   at Grpc.Net.Client.Internal.Retry.RetryCallBase`2.<GetResponseAsync>d__63.MoveNext() + 0x1c8
   at Unity.ILPP.Trigger.TriggerApp.<ProcessArgumentsAsync>d__1.MoveNext() + 0x4cf
   at Unity.ILPP.Trigger.TriggerApp.<RunAsync>d__0.MoveNext() + 0xdc
   at Program.<<Main>$>d__0.MoveNext() + 0x153
   at Program.<Main>(String[]) + 0x20
   at Unity.ILPP.Trigger!<BaseAddress>+0x58be5f

Happened in 2022.2.0b12 and 2022.2.0b4.

1 Like

Hi @Rowlan , sorry about that, we recently changed ILPP infrastructure to make it more scalable by running it in a side car daemon process.
This process Listens for GRPC connections over Named Pipes on Windows, or Unix Socket on Mac and Linux.
2 questions to try to solve this issue for you:
- What OS are you running ? Windows ?
- Per chance, is there any HTTP proxy setup on your machine ? There is a chance it might trigger some issue there.

Windows. And yes, it’s an office laptop with firewall / proxy setup. The application responsible is ZScaler:

https://www.zscaler.com/

Normally setup via admins. If I disable that application’s Internet Security feature, everything works fine. I’m lucky to have admin rights and can do so, most don’t have. So that’s a critical issue imo.

Otherwise everything works, I can login to Unity, can download assets from the store, etc.

Thanks for confirming this intuition. I'll file a bug, and will be able to share with you a custom build of ILPP client, to check if that solves the issue.

1 Like