Fire Projectile Accurately to center of screen(or crosshair) from gameobject, not the camera.

Okay so I’m trying to make a 3rd person sort of Arena game, and finally got the camera and character to move right, but now I’m having problem shooting a fireball from my character to the crosshair. I need it to be a projectile and not pure raycast, but I’m out of ideas on how to go about it.
The way I’m doing it now is to have a raycast from the camera straight forward, and then instantiate the fireball at a transform position in from of the character. The thing is the cross hair won’t align up with the fireball no matter what I do. The crosshair is just a simple sprite on a canvas in anchored to the center of the screen and placed in the center of the screen.
What happens is I fire the fireball like so:
alt text
As you can see in the editor its about to hit the right position on the ray but in game mode it looks like this:
alt text

This is the code attached to the player:

void Update()
    {
		Ray fireRay = new Ray(Camera.main.transform.position,Camera.main.transform.forward);
		RaycastHit fireHit;
		Debug.DrawRay (fireRay.origin, fireRay.direction * shootDistance, Color.green);

if (Physics.Raycast(fireRay, out fireHit, shootDistance, fireMask))					
		{							
			GameObject go = (GameObject)Instantiate(bullet,castPoint.position,Quaternion.identity);
			go.transform.LookAt(fireHit.point);
		}
	}

I’ve tried moving the crosshair around but it’s never accurate all of the time, I’ve also tried changing the way I do the raycast to:

Ray fireRay = Camera.main.ViewportPointToRay (0.5f, 0.5f, 0);

but that just seems to do the same. I found this forum post that seems to describe my problem, but offers no solution:
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/fps-shooting-accuracy.227427/

If anybody could point me in the right direction I would be extremely grateful, I’ve been googling this for days now.

[EDIT]
The raycast is great it goes from the main camera directly to the center of the screen, if i made a line render from the camera to where im point it would be accurate, likewise if I spawned the fireball in the same position as the camera it would go where I’m aiming, the problem comes in when I try to spawn the fireball in front of the player.
The crosshair is directly in the middle of the camera, so I don’t understand why it doesn’t match in game.

Set the origin of the fireRay to a GameObject instead of the camera’s position. Make a new Empty Game Object called fireRay. Child it to the camera and center it where you need it.

public GameObject fireRay;

void Update()
{
RaycastHit fireHit;
Debug.DrawRay (fireRay.origin, fireRay.direction * shootDistance, Color.green);
if (Physics.Raycast(fireRay, out fireHit, shootDistance, fireMask))
{
GameObject go = (GameObject)Instantiate(bullet,castPoint.position,Quaternion.identity);
go.transform.LookAt(fireHit.point);
}
}