Global (and not project-related) Editor Window?

Hello,

I've created an Editor Window with some global utilities, and I'm kind of annoyed that I have to manually copy it inside every project to have it working (also, each time I change it, I have to re-copy it everywhere).

Is there a way to have an Editor Window work automatically with all existing/new projects? Maybe there's a single place where the CS file should be copied? I couldn't find it anywhere :P

Thanks & a nice day :)

One option would be to have your editor window (and any other global source) in a single location on your machine, and then create a symbolic link from each Unity project to the central location. Not quite automatic though, since you need to set up the links, but at least you can maintain your source in one place, you don't need to copy the files again each time there's a change.

So you would have a folder structure something like ...

\Unity
    \Common
        \Editor
            \Common
    \Projects
        \MyFirstProject
            \Assets
                \Editor
                    \Common -> \Unity\Common\Editor\Common
        \MyOtherProject
            \Assets
                \Editor
                    \Common -> \Unity\Common\Editor\Common

Under Windows 7 you can create a symbolic link from a command shell with the mklink command. Note that the command shell needs to be launched with administrator privileges in order to do so.

mklink /D \Unity\Projects\MyFirstProject\Assets\Editor\Common \Unity\Common\Editor\Common

Under other versions of Windows you can create a directory junction (equivalent to a symbolic link) with junction.exe, available here.

Not being a Mac guy, I'm not sure how symbolic links work on the Mac, but it appears to be possible.

Sadly I don't think there's any such thing. The closest thing would be to create a unity package of your assets, and store it in the default folder for packages (`Unity/Editor/Standard Packages`). That way you can just tick its box during project creation and have Unity import it right away.

Not the answer, but a possible alternate solution I found (along with Johan's): see the example placed in the EditorApplication.applicationPath reference.

[edit] Actually, thinking more about it, this solution is foolish :P A script still needs to be manaully copied to any new project folder, so that it can be used to "almost" automatically import other scripts.

Anyway, I'm not deleting this answer, cause it might be useful - at least to me :)