Help fixing a bug with camera script

Hey, I’m a Unity noobie working on my first project and I’ve run into an interesting problem with it. The game is just a simple motorcycle that you can drive around. It goes forward with input from the vertical axis (like W/S or Up/Down Arrow) and turns the bike with input from the vertical axis (A/D or Left/Right). I’ve been working on a script for the camera and this is what I have:

using System.Collections;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using UnityEngine;

public class CameraFollow : MonoBehaviour
    {

public Transform target;
        public float dstFromTarget = 12f;
        public float smoothTime = 0.5f;
        public float camHeight = 3f;
        public float camAngle = 5f;

private Vector3 rotationSmoothVelocity;
        Vector3 currentRotation;

private void LateUpdate()
        {
            SmoothFollow();
        }

void SmoothFollow()
        {

Vector3 targetPos = target.transform.eulerAngles;
            Vector3 camPos = transform.eulerAngles;

currentRotation = Vector3.SmoothDamp(currentRotation, targetPos, ref rotationSmoothVelocity, smoothTime);

transform.eulerAngles = currentRotation + new Vector3(camAngle, 0f, 0f);

transform.position = target.position + new Vector3 (0f, camHeight,0f) - (transform.forward * dstFromTarget);

}

}

The script works great almost all the time. It follows the bike like I want it to as I drive except for one problem. It freaks out when the rotation goes from 360 to 0 or vice versa in the Y-direction. I’m kind of stumped on how I might fix this problem because I don’t know how to make 360 to 0 a smooth transition. If anyone has any solutions, I’d love to hear them. Thanks in advance!

Instead of smoothing your Euler angles I recommend smoothing the entire rotation. Quaternion.Slerp will rotate smoothly from one rotation to another without having to worry about angle overflow.

Quaternion cameraTilt = Quaternion.Euler(camAngle, 0 ,0);
transform.rotation = Quaternion.Slerp(transform.rotation, targetPos * cameraTilt, speed * Time.deltaTime);

Maybe something like this

Awesome, that worked! Thanks a lot for the help. I don’t feel like I understand quaternions as much as I would like to but I guess I understand it enough for now because I was able to get it to work. Here’s the latest code I used for archive purposes.

using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;

public class CameraFollow : MonoBehaviour
{

public Transform target;
    public float dstFromTarget = 12f;
    public float speed = 5f;
    public float camHeight = 3f;
    public float camAngle = 5f;

private void LateUpdate()
    {
        SmoothFollow();
    }

void SmoothFollow()
    {
        Quaternion targetPos = target.rotation;
        Quaternion cameraTilt = Quaternion.Euler(camAngle, 0, 0);

transform.rotation = Quaternion.Slerp(transform.rotation, targetPos * cameraTilt, speed * Time.deltaTime);

transform.position = target.position + new Vector3(0f, camHeight, 0f) - (transform.forward * dstFromTarget);
    }

}

Thanks again for the help! @unity_ek98vnTRplGj8Q