HoloLens Contest - Enter now for a chance to win a HoloLens dev Edition kit and up to $100,000

Have a world changing idea for HoloLens?

Submit your ideas for a chance to win up to $100,000, a HoloLens development Edition kit, and a Unity Pro Subscription license!

In addition to 3 prize winners, there will also be five Honorable mentions who will each receive a Unity Pro 12 Months Subscription.

Here's how to get started:

Step 1 – Submit your proposal/idea by sending in art, video, and full details of the idea. You can also send an example of what you’ve built previously. Submissions must be sent by 10 June, 2017.

Step 2 - Unity & Microsoft will review all proposals and select 10 finalists. Each Finalist will then receive on loan a HoloLens Development Edition Kit to begin building the experience.

Step 3 - Begin building your app/experience. Please note below this page are links to helpful technical resources.

Step 4 - Submit the build for review by completing submission form 2 so we can review your app/experience.

For full contest details and to submit your ideas, please visit this page.

1 Like

From contest rules "ELIGIBILITY" paragraph:
"previously created a game that has a minimum of 10,000 downloads in the Steam Store, Google Play Store, or Apple’s App Store"
Can we participate if we are creating pre-operative planning software for surgeons? We have active users (definitely not 10000), and our app is not distributed through app stores.

1 Like

The whole eligibility thing is gunna put a damper on submissions. What if there are devs that privately distribute their apps? Pretty much the whole enterprise industry, which is what the HoloLens is very useful for, is excluded. What if you have already been developing for HoloLens? Does that at least gain some sort of merit when applying? Also, I'm pretty sure devs with 10,000 downloads or more are focused on improving the product they have already released or at least heavily focused on making games rather than real world applications.

1 Like

Sounds quite interesting. I have a few questions, though:

1. Do we really need an app (wait, it actually says "game" :?) with 10k downloads? And if that really is a requirement, do apps in the Windows Store count?

2. Are games allowed in the contest? Or should we focus more on useful app (non-game) ideas?

3. Do the finalists not in the top 3 need to return the HoloLens devices? The "official rules" page says that all finalists keep the devices, whereas the main page says that only the top 3 finalists keep them.

I am wondering about 10K downloads requirement too. Is it strictly required? Are there any answers to this question from contest organizers?
Just decide to post this question again here with the hope to catch attention from official Unity/Microsoft folks.

Sorry that is a mistake, we are removing that from the T&Cs now. You do not need to have 10,000 installs. my apologies.

1 Like

Sorry that is a mistake, we are removing that from the T&Cs now. You do not need to have 10,000 installs. my apologies.

Sorry that is a mistake, we are removing that from the T&Cs now. You do not need to have 10,000 installs. my apologies. Yes, games are allowed but Microsoft is looking for world changing ideas that can help people today for example in work, in school, in hospitals, at home etc. You just need to submit your idea before 10 June. Then 10 finalists will be selected to go on to build their app. The HoloLens devices are on loan to finalist but that could be subject to change i.e. we may allow them to keep them

Sorry that is a mistake, we are removing that from the T&Cs now. You do not need to have 10,000 installs. my apologies. Microsoft is looking for world changing ideas that can help people today for example in work, in school, in hospitals, at home etc. You just need to submit your idea before 10 June. Then 10 finalists will be selected to go on to build their app. The HoloLens devices are on loan to finalist but that could be subject to change i.e. we may allow them to keep them

It says the application has to be developed for the UWP, but does that specifically mean that it must be released on the Windows Store at some point throughout the competition? Is distribution required at all?

What about a distinct "lite/pro" version split, where only the lite app is released (if needed), with the pro version being something a little more sophisticated.

Hi Jesus, yes, we will ask the 10 finalists to submit their app/experience to the Windows Store once complete.
I'd recommend you submit the full app if possible.
Thanks,
Jo

OK, thanks for the clarification.

Just from a quick Google, looks like you need to register to sell stuff on the Windows Store, and that's $20usd for an individual, or $100usd for a company/developer (like Gaben announced for Steam). Royalties seem to be a bit better than Steam, Googlestore, etc which was a bit surprising. Price range for the store is free, and 1.49 to 999.99 in preset intervals.

Hi, I have some questions:

1- I am Iranian but im student in USA and I also have job authorization from US government. can I participate?

2- My Idea is definitely problem solving but its mostly for governments, big organizations or industries not for regular people. would that be fine to participate?

3- can we fake data? for instance, imagine that im going to show parts of a car. but i dont know real sizes of those parts, and the car factory wouldnt give me those information. can I made up size for those parts by myself?

4- can we use VS 2017 instead of 2015?

Thank you very much.

in submission form it ask for company name. what if im an indie and not a company? can I participate?

Hello to the unity-team and all other pariticipants of the contest!
I have a rather urgent question:
After submitting all the required data on the website i did not receive any type of confirmation email.
Is this on purpose? (maybe other participants can tell me if they recieved any email)

If not I'd need to resubmit my idea ASAP. (the deadline is coming!)

I panicked a bit too, but it did eventually come through for me.

I accidentally submitted the Form twice now. The emails later showed up in the "advertisment" tab of gmail... narf.

Hello,My question is" if we were not the 10 finalists which announced on 16 June" Can we still buy the devices by ourselves and completing submission form 2 to be the final prize winner and get the 100,000 dollars ?