Homing Missile targetting the nearest Enemy

Hello,

I made a script, with a Homing Missile in Unity2D. Game is a Sidescrolling Platformer Contrastyle.

The missile, which is fired from a gun muzzle is doing it´s job. However… It doesn´t recognize, which enemy is currently the nearest Target. I tried to google that. I also found an answer in the forums, but it is using Linq. Since I have absolutely no clue about Linq, is there another solution I could use?

Currently I am using "FindGameObjectWithTag to find the target for the missile. I also know, that I somehow have to make it work that, so that the missile recognizes a certain distance to the nearest enemy, but I don´t get, how to properly set it up.

Do I have to use an Array for that?

Another solution could be, to make the missile just allow to search for a target, if it is visible on the screen? However, my recent trys with this were a desaster.

Help or a hint would be much appreciated, since at the moment if I am direclty in front of the enemy the missile is flying on to the next target like 2 screens away.

Thanks a lot.

Here´s the script.

public GameObject target;

Rigidbody2D rb;

// Use this for initialization
void Start () {

}

// Update is called once per frame
void FixedUpdate () {

rb = GetComponent<Rigidbody2D>();
	if(target = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag ("Enemy"))
	{

Vector2 pointToTarget = (Vector2)transform.position-(Vector2)target.transform.position;

pointToTarget.Normalize ();

float value = Vector3.Cross(pointToTarget, transform.right).z;

if(value >0) 

{
			rb.angularVelocity = rotatingSpeed;
		}
		else if (value < 0)
			rb.angularVelocity = -rotatingSpeed;           

else
		rb.angularVelocity = 0; 
	}

}

There is no builtin method for finding the closest enemy, but there is a pretty simple way to code it. add this function to your script and it will return the nearest GameObject with the tag.

GameObject FindClosestByTag(string tag)
    {
        GameObject[] gos;
        gos = GameObject.FindGameObjectsWithTag(tag);
        GameObject closest = null;
        float distance = Mathf.Infinity;
        Vector3 position = transform.position;
        foreach (GameObject go in gos)
        {
            Vector3 diff = go.transform.position - position;
            float curDistance = diff.sqrMagnitude;
            if (curDistance < distance)
            {
                closest = go;
                distance = curDistance;
            }
        }
        return closest;
    } 

Essentially the function grabs all objects with the tag ‘tag’ and individually compares the distance between them returning the closest one.

I hope this helps!