How Do I Access 1D Axis in New Input System?

Thus far I have not been able to find much information on how to implement 1D Axis Composites from the new Input System into a script. I understand how to use 2D and 3D axes by using Get<Vector2D>() or Get<Vector3D>(), but I am not sure how to implement the 1D axis in a similar fashion. Here is my code:

public void OnSelectPath(InputValue input)
{
    int change = Convert.ToInt16(input.Get<float>());
    if (runningCutscene)
    {
        if (ongoingProcesses == 0)
        {
            int newChoice = currentChoice + change;
            if (newChoice >= ShownChoices.Count)
            {
                newChoice = 0;
            }
            if (newChoice < 0)
            {
                newChoice = ShownChoices.Count - 1;
            }
            currentChoice = newChoice;
            Select(currentChoice);
        }
    }
}

According to the documentation (to the degree that I understood it), the 1D axis should return a Single, so that’s what I tried to use here. The local variable change should ideally be set to 1, 0, or -1 depending on which key is pressed. However, whenever the positive or negative keys are pressed, change still returns 0. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

@Icni
I had the same issue for a long time but what worked for me is to reference the action map in the script then use

public PlayerInputs controls;

changeInput = controls.UIcontrols.change.ReadValue<float>();
Debug.Log(changeInput)

btw this is my first post ever so I’m not sure if this will help you but its worked for me

Suggest unity adds brackets to the Composite Type: 1D Axis (float)
Its not too clear what a 1D Axis is… maybe a straight line where some values can be positive or negative…
seems misleading when 2D and 3D vectors are a thing and then there is no 1D type available because its just a float.

Suggest unity adds brackets to the Composite Type: 1D Axis (ReadValue)
Its not too clear what a 1D Axis is… maybe a straight line where some values can be positive or negative…
seems misleading when 2D and 3D vectors are a thing and then there is no 1D type available because its just a float.