How do I check a rotation relative to another object's rotation?

Hi! I need to check an object’s rotation relative to another object’s rotation. Just like the image, I need to know when the yellow ball has rotated outside the brown boundaries set by the blue ball. I have a problem since the blue ball also rotates and I don’t know how to check it. To add some context, the blue ball are my character’s legs which rotate as given by the arrow keys (up, down, left, right, up-left, down-right, etc), and the yellow ball is the upper body which rotates relative to the mouse, but I can’t have the legs facing south and the upper body facing north, so I need to check rotations to be able to change the leg’s animation

Hello!

You might use this code to calcul some angles.

public static class Utility
{
	public static float		RelativeAngle(Vector3 fwd, Vector3 targetDir, Vector3 upDir)
	{
		var	angle = Vector3.Angle(fwd, targetDir);

if (Utility.AngleDirection(fwd, targetDir, upDir) == -1)
			return -angle;
		else
			return angle;
	}

public static float		RelativeAngle(Vector2 fwd, Vector2 targetDir, Vector3 upDir)
	{
		var	angle = Vector2.Angle(fwd, targetDir);

if (Utility.AngleDirection(fwd, targetDir, upDir) == -1)
			return -angle;
		else
			return angle;
	}

public static float		AngleDirection(Vector3 fwd, Vector3 targetDir, Vector3 up)
	{
		Vector3	perp = Vector3.Cross(fwd, targetDir);
		float	dir = Vector3.Dot(perp, up);

if (dir > 0F)
			return 1F;
		else if (dir < 0F)
			return -1F;
		else
			return 0F;
	}

public static float		AngleDirection(Vector2 fwd, Vector2 targetDir, Vector3 up)
	{
		Vector3	perp = Vector3.Cross(new Vector3(fwd.x, 0f, fwd.y),
									 new Vector3(targetDir.x, 0f, targetDir.y));
		float dir = Vector3.Dot(perp, up);

if (dir > 0F)
			return 1F;
		else if (dir < 0F)
			return -1F;
		else
			return 0F;
	}
}

In your case, your might need this particular code:

float angle = Utility.RelativeAngle(FORWARD_OF_YOUR_LEGS, FORWARDS_OF_YOUR_HEAD, Vector3.up);