How do i make my code better? (switch statement)

Hi here is my code:

switch (rotationCount)
{
            case 1:
                Rotation(new Vector3(0, 0, 90));
                direction = Vector3.right;
                break;
            case 2:
                Rotation(new Vector3(0, 0, 180));
                direction = Vector3.back;
                break;
            case 3:
                Rotation(new Vector3(0, 0, 270));
                direction = Vector3.left;
                break;
            case 4:
                Rotation(new Vector3(0, 0, 360));
                direction = Vector3.forward;
                rotationCount = 0;
                break;
}

I have a object attached to my mouse cursor and i have a function that lets me rotate it in 4 dimensions. It will go through the cases and at the end of case 4 it will go back to 1.

The code works fine but i want to know if there is way to make this code smaller and more efficient. Right now it’s doing the same thing with just some numbers being changed around.

private void Rotation(Vector3 currRot)
    {
        transform.eulerAngles = new Vector3(currRot.x, currRot.y, currRot.z);
    }

Here is how i rotate my gameobject, i just use this function in my switch statement and change currRot. How can i use this Rotation function to able to shuffle through 4 vectors in less than one line?

The thing is i got a hint on how i could make this code more efficient but i forgot about it. It has “%” in it if that rings any bells. If you have a solution in less than 1 or 2 lines of code that uses this % or not i would be most grateful.

Thanks!

As I don’t know the oint of ‘direction’ I am just going to ignore it, I assume the line you were previously told about is probably:

Rotation(new Vector3(0, 0, 90*(rotationCount%4)));

or

Rotation(new Vector3(0, 0, 90*rotationCount));
rotationCount = (rotationCount+1)%4;

I would suggest the second option if this runs ‘forever’ else I guess you’re rotationCount variable might… eventually be greater than Int.MaxInteger!

the ‘%’ signs refers to the modulo function, which returns the remainder after division, so 4%4, has 0 remainder when 4/4 so answer is 0; and 5%4 is 5/4 = 4/4 + 1 so our answer is the remained = 1.

@vittu1994: I have not seen the reference you are speaking of. That said, I could give you some pointers :).

First, the “%” operator is the modulus operator, and it returns the remainder value from a division. The second argument cannot be 0, otherwise it should return a DivideByZeroException.
Click here for more about the Modulus operator

Second, I’m surprised it works! The Vector3 arguments are floats, and to have a literal assignment (like “floatVar = 90f;”) rather then a variable (like “floatVar = floatOtherVar;”) you should have to add an ‘f’ immediately after the value, independent of whether or not it you used a decimal… A small difference between MonoDevelop’s and VS’s float semantics, I presume?

One simplified possible solution could be like this:

if(floatVar.z % 90 == 0f)
{
     if(floatVar.z / 4 == 90f) direction = Vector3.right;
     if(floatVar.z / 4 == 180f) direction = Vector3.back;
     if(floatVar.z / 4 == 270f) direction = Vector3.left;
     if(floatVar.z / 4 == 360f || floatVar.z / 4 == 0f) direction = Vector3.forward;
}

Of course, be careful of this when dealing with floats, especially when comparing!

Edit: link is will now get you to Single.Equals, not Double.Equals. Good catch @troien!